Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Champix for over 3 years, effects of long-term use?

User Profile
I've been using Champix for over 3 years now. What are the effects of long-term use?

I've seen the dangerous side effects on YouTube, which I encounter from time to time, but nothing violent. I don't consider suicide, as the thought of self-termination - and the severe adverse emotional and psychological effects it would place on my children - are just too much to contemplate. I think its the loss of ambition, loss of self-confidence, loss of self-worth, loss of pride (ego), loss of memory (short term), loss of ability to tolerate minor infringement of order, marital breakdown, feelings of abandonment and utter emptiness - amongst other depressive thoughts, dreams and nightmares - that have gotten me thinking as whether or not I chose the right treatment.

My conundrum is do I quit the Champix and go back to smoking and die early or continue and put up with the side effects?

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2011
Stop Smoking Answer A22225
Hello.

I am sure you can get a list of the side effects of Champix from a good and authentic source. The pressing issue is probably the choice. And when you choose an option, you do it to achieve certain goals. If putting up with the side effects helps you achieve your goals, then it's a rational approach. However, if avoiding side effects is the goal, then the choice is obvious. But in the second case, you must be prepared for the effects of smoking.

The side effects differ from person to person. There is no fool proof way of telling how many side effects you will get. The question you can ask here is "Am I willing to risk good health for the fear of side effects which may not be so bad". In effect, what you are doing here, then, is weighing the risks against the benefits. The risk associated with smoking and the benefits of taking Champix.

In short, if you have a clearly specified health goal for yourself, the choice will not be that difficult to make. Hope this helps.

I wish you good health.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stop Smoking , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.