Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Cervical spine restrictions

User Profile
I am not sure if this could be TMJ so that is why I am asking. I have had ongoing sinus problems and terrible symptoms which could be both TMJ related and allergy related. My symptoms include: plugged ears with painful pressure (ENT says my ears like fine though and that there is nothing wrong with them), very bad dizziness and vertigo which gets worse the more plugged and pressure are on my ears, intense brain fog like I'm here but I'm not here kind of feeling, occassional ear popping when swalling or moving my jaw that usually never helps unplug them, sinus headaches and pressure all over my face and head, swollen glands, jaw pain that goes from the bottom of my jaw up to my ears. I have had a very bad habit, that started when I was a child, of chewing on the sides of my mouth. I definitely notice my ears plugging up more while doing this and my jaw hurting. Today my jaw is very painful and I am feeling even dizzier than I normally do. Is the severe dizziness and brain fog related?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2009
TMJ Answer A6856
I often see these problems in my practice. These types of symptoms sometimes relate to the vertebrae in the neck not moving properly which can cause/be caused by tense neck muscles. This restriction causes a blockage of the eustation tubes which can cause ear and sinus pain/problems.

A restriction in the vertebrae in your neck can also cause dizziness. A proper evaluation by a health professional is required. It is recommended that you consider a consultation with a Doctor of Chiropractic, as they will be able to diagnose the issue and possibly treat it non-invasively. Brain fog is also a common symptom of cervical spine restriction. Good luck!

Antonio Marotta, D.C.
Clifton Park Chiropractor

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our TMJ , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.