First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
mahender,

I may be of help with the terminology:

"1. Loss of cervical lordosis is noted"
>> The cervical lordosis is the normal curvature of the neck. Loss of lordosis means that the neck is straighter than normal. The usual reason for this is the way the patient is positioned on the MRI gantry for the study. Another reason could be due to muscle spasm in the neck region. The MRI study cannot determine what is causing the straightening. That would have to be done by the physician who ordered the study and has examined you.

"2. Hemangioma in D5 Vertebrae"
>> In the C5 vertebral body, there is an hemangioma. This is a very common lesion seen within the cancellous bone (spongy bone) of the vertebra. This bone is very vascular, it normally has a lot of blood vessels in it. However, in this vertebral body, there are a little more blood vessels than normal. So, an hemangioma is a tangle of blood vessels, more than what would normally be there. These are benign and again, very common. They usually do not need to be treated. Most are incidental findings.

"3. Diffuse disc bulge at C3-C4, C4-C5 and C5-C6 levels causing thecal
indentation"
>> In these three disc, there is generalized bulging or protrusion of the disc. The discs are going backwards, into the spinal canal. The discs are touching the thecal sac, with indentation. The thecal sac is a tough sheath that goes around the spinal cord, containing the cord and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). It does not say how much the sac is indented. It also does not say that the cord is involved.

"4. Posterior annular tear in C4-C5 inter-vertebral disc"
>> In this disc there is a tear of the annulus fibrous. The annulus is the tough cartilage ring of the disc complex.

Good things, that are not stated in this impression: There is no mention of the canal or neural foraminae being narrowed. The neural foraminae are the holes which the nerve roots exit the spine through. Also, there is no mention that any of the nerve roots are being pressed upon.

There is no mention of degenerative disc disease. There is a tear in one annulus and some bulging of three of the discs, but there is no mention of any herniation of the nucleus pulposus (which is the jelly like center of the disc complex). It is a herniation that usually presses on a nerve root.

There is also no mention of any spondylitis, or degenerative changes between the vertebral bodies. Also, the facet joints in the posterior spine are not mentioned as being involved at all.

So, there are some findings on this study, some bulging disc and one annulus tear. But, that is about it.

These findings are permanent, they will not resolve. These are degenerative changes, and the clock can not be turned back. Will they get worse? No one can tell that.

As to the significance of these findings, that is something that you should discuss with your spine surgeon. All studies need to be correlated with the patient's history and physical examination. Until that is done, these are just findings on a study.

Again, you need to speak with your spine surgeon (or whoever ordered the study) to see if these findings could be causing your symptoms.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

dear Gaelic,

What should I do now, whether it will lead to any brain problems?
Today I have an appointment with my Orthopedic doc. what are all the things that I need to clarify with him.

Thank you.
|

Dear Gaelic sir,

I am very thankful to you for your quick and valuable information.

Here is my MRI scan full report,

Findings:
1. Loss of cervical lordosis is noted
2. Hemangioma in D5 Vertebrae
3. Diffuse disc bulge at C3-C4, C4-C5 and C5-C6 levels causing thecal
indentation
4. Posterior annular tear in C4-C5 inter-vertebral disc

Rest of the cervical vertebral bodies, pedicles, laminae, transverse and spinous processes show normal alignment, MR morphology and signal pattern. Facet jionts appear normal.

Rest of the iV discs show normal signal intensity with normal height. No evidence of secondary canal stenosis?foraminal stenosis. Anteroir longitudinal ligament, posterior longitudinal ligament and ligamentum flavum appear normal.

The cervical cord is well displayed and it is of normal size. No evidence of any abnormal signal intensity lesions seen within the cord. The cervico-medullary junction is normal.

The CSF displays normal signal intensity in all sequences and there is noevidence of any mass in or around the CSF pathway. The atlanto-axial and atlanto-occipital jionts are normal. The pre and paraspinal regions do not show any abnormal soft tissue lesion

Impression:
1. Loss of cervical lordosis is noted
2. Hemangioma in D5 Vertebrae
3. Diffuse disc bulge at C3-C4, C4-C5 and C5-C6 levels causing thecal
indentation
4. Posterior annular tear in C4-C5 inter-vertebral disc
|