Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Cervical Spine MRI Results

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Please help me try to understand my recent mri results... thank you!

Cervical Spine MRI Findings:
There is a slight loss of normal cervical lordosis. The bone marrow signal is normal without osseous destructive process. There is a partial fusion at C5/C6
Minimal anterolisthesis is seen at C4 on C5. The craniocervical junction is normal. Atlanto-axial joint is normal. The cord is normal in course, caliber, and signal.

C3/C4: Slight decreased disc height and hydration with mild diffuse disc bulge. Central canal is normal in AP diameter. Neural foramina and exiting nerve roots show no abnormality.
C4/C5: Slight decreased disc height and hydration with mild diffuse disc bulge. Central canal is normal in AP diameter. Neural foramina and exiting nerve roots show no abnormality.

C2/C3, C5/C6, C6/C7, C7/T1: Normal disc height and hydration. Disc contour is normal. There is no evidence of disc bulge or disc protrusion. Central canal is normal in AP diameter. Neural foramina and exiting nerve roots show no abnormality.

Vascular structures and upper portions of the airway are normal.

Impression:
1. Slight loss of the normal cervical lordosis.
2. Diffuse disc bulges at C3/C4 and C4/C5. No evidence of spinal stenosis.
3. Partial fusion at C5/C6.

What does diffuse disc bulges mean? Also, I had a C5/C6 Anterior Cervical Discectomy/Fusion in 2007. What does a partial fusion mean? Are there different types of cervical fusions? Or could it mean the orignal fusion didn't ever attach/fuse together correctly? I have had problems and pain for several years now, and it never went away even after having the fusion.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
"There is a slight loss of normal cervical lordosis."

This means your neck is a little straigher on the side view than it should be.

"Minimal anterolisthesis is seen at C4 on C5."

This means one of your vertabra has slipped formard.

C3-C4 and C4-C5 have narrow disks. A bulging disk is when part of the disk is protruding out between the 2 vertabra it sits between. Diffuse means a widespread bulge.

As far as your fusion goes its hard to tell there are different types of fusuion and thet dont always fuse every part of the joint. I suspect that is what they mean but i cant be sure. You need your doctor to make this point clear. Finally its not uncommon for pain to persist after a fusion.
|
Did you find this post helpful?