Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cerebral Palsy Forum

Cerebral palsy symptoms - startling

Startle REALLY easily??? I mean like, I startle soooooooooooooo bad... even the slightest noise I hear or movement I see will startle me to the point that, if I am standing up or walking, I will stumble... or completely fall Embarassed It is so embarrassing. I mean, I have heard people say, "everybody startles" and I know that's true... but most people don't fall down (and possibly get hurt) when they startle. Walking down the sidewalk and hearing a horn blow - doesn't make normal people fall down. It does me. Seeing something unexpected out of the corner of my eye makes me hit the ceiling. Being in a room and hearing a door slam down the hall... someone taps me on the shoulder... I could go on and on... all these things are things that most people don't think twice about... but they are things that haunt me every day of my life. Crying or Very sad

My startling is so bad, that I am afraid to do... really anything that requires me to have to stand. And I can walk with crutches, but I hardly do nowadays... just because I don't wanna fall and 1) be embarrassed and 2) possibly get hurt... so now I pretty much use a manual wheelchair everywhere I go, so I don't have to worry about falling when I get startled. *sigh* But I know because I am not using them, my legs are just getting weaker and weaker... I know, because on the rare occasion that I do try to walk, it is harder than it used to be.

And I am scared that one day I won't be able to walk AT ALL and will be confined to a wheelchair.

Are there any medications for startling? Is there hope for me??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
There is always hope. you might want to try some magnesium. that helps muscles relax. next id like you to take a deep breath and not give up on standing and walking. dont be afraid to fall. and dont be embarrased really it might seem like someting to be embarrased about but look up and say--i meant to do that or make the situation funny and no one will think less of you for it rather they may look up to you and say i wish i could be more like her.

never give up--you have to keep working at it.
|

replied April 18th, 2008
I sometimes wonder... if maybe it is not related to the CP... could that be a possibility? I have seen several neurologists in my life thus far and no one seems to have any answers. *sigh* it's just frustrating... this startling is such a big problem for me that I feel like it holding me back from doing so much. Crying or Very sad
|

replied April 21st, 2008
I startle easily as well. Several times, I have almost fallen. But since my brother was the one who likes to startle me so much, he usually caught me. He used to say, "I'm going to scare you...BOO!" And of course, I'd hit the ceiling. I've never asked a doctor about it...I just assumed that it was related to cp...and that my brother could be a jerk sometimes! Smile But like you I jump at sounds that don't make other people blink.

For what its worth, I wouldn't give up walking. I walk with braces now, and I know that it'll be different in the future. I'm just trying to hold off every new stage as long as possible. You say its a big problem that's holding you back, and I believe you. What's it holding you back from? What about what using a wheelchair holds you back from, anything? I never have before, so I'm just asking.

Never knew that about magnesium. Thanks!
|

replied April 21st, 2008
Quote:
What's it holding you back from? What about what using a wheelchair holds you back from, anything?
I guess it's just annoying cuz I cant just hop in anybody's car and go somewhere... it has to be big enough for my chair... and I feel like a burden to people that have to deal with putting in the vehicle and getting it out and stuff.
|

replied April 22nd, 2008
Annoying, I can understand that a little. Would you be able to do those things without using a chair? Just wondering, I haven't had to answer that question in my life yet. I definitely understand about feeling like a burden. I can't drive right now, and I live away from home. So, my friends really have to take me everywhere. I've been advised not to use the bus system as I may have a seizure and forget where I'm going. And its hard not to feel like a burden, even when my friends swear I'm not. And I also want to just do things people my age do, but I can't...at least not often. So, I do understand some of your frustration, but I also realize that's not all that helpful. You're not alone though and sometimes that's nice to know.
|

replied April 23rd, 2008
rufus40 wrote:
Annoying, I can understand that a little. Would you be able to do those things without using a chair?
Probably not, just cuz I can't walk very far at all.
Quote:
I can't drive right now, and I live away from home. So, my friends really have to take me everywhere. And its hard not to feel like a burden, even when my friends swear I'm not. And I also want to just do things people my age do, but I can't
I'm in the same boat... I don't drive, live away from home... and hubby is overseas. But unlike you, I don't have any friends. So I am basically stuck in my apartment 24/7. Crying or Very sad Except on my mother-in-law's day off work (every other Monday) when she can and does take me places... but I feel so bad that she has to do that... I mean, that's her OFF day... not her "let's tote Amanda everywhere under the sun" day....... ya know?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
But unlike you, I don't have any friends. quote]

I dont think thats entirely true-----you have us--we are always here for you-me esp--im here every day except saturdays-----you need anything im right here
|

replied April 29th, 2008
Tmddyan wrote:
you have us--we are always here for you-me esp--
oh I know that and appreciate it more than words can say, but you know what I mean... no friends in real life (that can take me places like you talked about and stuff)
|

replied May 1st, 2008
I know what you mean. By the end of this month, all my friends will have moved away. And when you can't drive, just a hour might as well be forever. I get lonely sometimes.
|

replied May 1st, 2008
rufus40 wrote:
I get lonely sometimes.
(((hugs)))
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2009
Hey. Ya I know what you mean about the driving thing. I don't drive...I've tried a few times but I can't seem to. My co ordination and motor skills suck. I just recently found out I have cp (see post someone like me) and am looking for supportr from people who really know what its like
|