Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

Celiac Disease causing nausea ?

Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
(I am a 20 yr old female, and I'm definitely not pregnant) For more than 5 months now, I have been nauseous most every morning. I have to force myself to eat something, and usually the only thing I can tolerate and get down is something really sweet, like a dessert, which I know is not healthy but it's all I can handle. Lately, even just looking at food or thinking about what to eat in the morning makes me gag. By lunch time, the nausea is gone, but I have no appetite. I'll force myself to eat little meals so again, I'm eating something. Then by dinner time, things are normal and I'm very hungry. Not every time, but often when I eat out at restaurants I have diarrhea after. And my stools have been orange in color for about 5 months too. I also have suffered from fatigue for over 2 years. Lately I have been getting headaches a lot and occasionally will have numbness in my feet and toes, as well as pins and needles in my hands and fingers. Finally, I have had bad knee problems for almost a year now, and they are not healing near as fast as they should. My muscles are also really weak in my legs too. I'm wondering if I do have celiac disease, if it could be prolonging my recovery from the knee pain and also causing the rest of these symptoms. For anyone who has personal experience, I would really appreciate your input. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 6th, 2010
hey the best thing to do is go get tested. There are several tests you can take. Like any episode of House can show you most symptoms appear in any kind of problem with the body...so get checked! You can also go completely gluten-free for a few days and see how you feel to get a better sense, but this is just a hint not a confirmation of the disease.
|

replied August 17th, 2010
Experienced User
I would also look into hypoglycemia. And also try to avoid eating MSG. Eating MSG is what could make you be having diarrhea after eating at a restaurant, especially fast food. Let us know your results, if/once you find out what's causing your problems. I'd like to know.
|

replied August 27th, 2010
What's probably happening is that the food you ate is not going thru your digestive system and backing up making you feel nauseous. Being active during the day helps the food to move along but when you are resting it is not moving along very well. Any congestion and inflammation in the intestine can cause this problem - food intolerances such as gluten intolerance, parasites, gall stones and insufficient pancreatic secretion and low stomach acid are a few. The blood tests for CD require you to eat gluten but if you choose to go gluten free do it aor at least a month. It took 3 - 6 months for my knee problems to get better on a gf/cow dairy free diet. The genetic marker test and the molecular serology test can be done if you are gluten free and will tell how likely it is to develop celiac disease.
|

replied February 14th, 2012
Oh my god, it's like reading about myself. I had Chronic diarrea for years now, but since a couple of weeks I'm getting pins and needles in my hands and feet, and I get heavy nauseas at night. My muscles feel weak in my feet too, and I had knee problems. I'm definetely gonna test myself for celiac disease now. Thanks a lot!

I wish you the best of luck in this.
|