Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

CBC suggest HIV ?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I have recently been tested and tested negative. For some reason I cant let it go. I went a long time without being tested when i should have been and now i fear i may be that slim chance that would show a false negative.
I recently had a sore throat and went to see a doc and found out i had strep. During the exam i had a CBC done and the doc said it was normal, but when i went home i looked it over and saw that my platelets were only 157,000. The low end cutoff for normal platelets is 150,000. The high end is over 400,000. Could this suggest hiv infection???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2010
Supporter
No...Believe your test results. 157,000 is normal. Forget about high end and low end.

Mrs. Minneh Kamau Bushby (Minnie - Muthoni - Mson)
|

replied March 19th, 2010
Thank you for your reply. Im not sure what to do about my situation anymore. I have spent the last few years worried sick about possibly having hiv and fearing the worst. I wasnt always as safe as i should have been. MY last possible exposure was a long long time ago, way beyond the 6 month period.
Then last month i got sick and my anxiety went into overdrive and i finally got the courage to get tested. I got tested for gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis and hiv and all were negative. I have taken two rapid hiv 1/2 tests and one of the genetic tests that looks for the virus itself. All have been negative. I just got the negative result from the genetic test a couple of days ago, and i thought i would feel better but i dont. Now i know i am obsessing with lightning strike worst case scenarios. My only concern is that i still dont have my regular apetite back. I also havent been sleeping properly.
I dont have health insurance but i am paying to go see a doctor and have a physical exam done to see if there is any other problem. Is it possible to still be infected?

I guess i should seek counseling. I am afraid i might never shake this fear. The past few months going through all these tests has been the hardest months of my life. I am afraid it has somehow made me go a little crazy. I spent so much time thinking i was going to be positive for sure that now i cant accept the negative result. With two negative antibody tests and a negative genetic test, do you think there is still a chance i might be positive? Have i lost it completely?
|

replied March 19th, 2010
I think you have to trust your results which you were given at the hospital,your platelet count is just very normal,you dont ve to worry anyone can ve sore throat,were you exposed to something?
|