Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Causes of hypomenorrhea

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
ok i'll start by saying, i started my period 3 days ago, the first day i started it was very light just spotting, the next day i wasn't bleeding not even spotting,nor the second or the third, but i'm still cramping like i would if i were on my period, i'm a little scared and not sure what to do, this has never happened before.

Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank DoctorQuestion for this post: Tgurl 

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2009
Menstruation Answer A7053

The data you provided (irregular menstrual period: light spotting for only one day) is not enough for a definitive diagnosis and its causes.
However, you might be experiencing hypomenorrhea, which is a condition in which the quantity of blood lost during menstrual period is decreased. There might be many causes for this condition, including: hormonal (changes in the blood level of the female sex hormones), constitutional (in some women it is quite normal to have less blood lost during the menstrual period and this occurs on every period). It might be caused by emotional stress that causes a hormonal imbalance. Certain other pathological conditions like Asherman’s syndrome might be causing this problem as well.

You are advised to visit your gynecologist for a physical examination and hormonal laboratory tests, which might reveal any hormonal imbalance. Your gynecologist might want to wait to see if this condition is transitory, but if it occurs again during the next period then adequate treatment according to the cause might be recommended (hormonal treatment might be recommended in case of a hormonal imbalance in order to induce a normal menstrual cycle and period).

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.