Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Causes of constant hiccups

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
im always hiccuping . i hiccup 4 to 5 times a day every 2 days . my hiccups last from 30 mins to an hour . my hiccups start as hiccups & right when it gets to the peak it turns into a burp . & theyre extremely loud . so much to where i have to leave a room if other people are having conversations or watching tv . i feel a lot of pressure in my chest all the time . i dont know what do to anymore . i can hardly hold a whole conversation without my hiccups starting . if something scares me i get them . if i drink something i get them . if i eat i get them . theyre haunting me , somebody help . ive tried water , ive tried being spooked . ive tried acid reflex pills . ive held my breath . im not sure what to do . please help me .

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2009
General Q and A Answer A8625
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Your concern is regarding the constant hiccups that you have. It is usually due to irritation of the diaphragm that is a muscle separating the chest from the abdomen. It can be due to irritation of the nerve innervating the diaphragm, inflammation of the lung or the lining of the lung, irritation of the abdominal side of the diaphragm, inflammation, stretching of the stomach or irritation of the esophagus. You need to get a chest x-ray, CT chest and upper GI endoscopy done to rule out the causes one by one. Treatment is diagnosis-specific and hence, I would suggest a physician’s evaluation.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.