Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Causes of an elevated diaphragm

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
what is treatment for elevated diaphram

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2010
Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Answer A11111
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the treatment of an elevated diaphragm.

The diaphragm is the muscle that separates the chest cavity from the abdomen and that serves as the main muscle of respiration. The elevation of half of the diaphragm (hemidiaphragm) is a significant sign of a problem that may lie below, within or above the diaphragm. Cysts, an infection or abscess (filled with pus), hematoma (collection of blood), a tumor, or abdominal surgery may be a problem below the diaphragm that elevates this muscle. Damage to the phrenic nerve (that controls the diaphragm) or infiltration of the diaphragm by lung cancer or another tumor may also cause elevation of half of the diaphragm. Atelectasis (lung collapse), lung fibrosis, painful pleurisy, pulmonary embolus, or a rib fracture may cause elevation of half of the diaphragm. If there is acute elevation of the entire diaphragm combined with paralysis of both of the phrenic nerves, sudden death may appear in individuals. To treat this condition, the other underlying conditions should be treated first.

Given the data that you described, you may be experiencing an elevated diaphragm. You may want to have an RTG of your chest and abdomen to rule out any of the conditions listed above. You may also need to have an ultrasound for diagnosis of cysts, abscess or hematoma in the abdomen. Most of the conditions listed above can be treated with surgery.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.