Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Cause of Chest vibration

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
For a couple of months now, I have been experiencing what I can only describe as a vibration in my left chest area. I have seen a cardiologist and have had several EKG's, a cardiac ultrasound and a 24 hour Holter study. All testing in that area has come back normal.

These episodes happen countless times throughout the day lasting several seconds each time. However, I am either not aware of them while sleeping, or they don't happen while sleeping.

Since all of the cardiac testing has come back normal, neither the cardiologist or my soon to be former primary care seem interested in exploring any other areas of evaluation. All they suggest is that I should "speak to someone", if this situation is beginning to consume me.

Are there any neurological or other areas I should begin to investigate. Any help would be appreciated as living with this continuously is becoming quite unnerving.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Catpurring
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2008
Doctor
I believe that both your cardiologist and your son wanted to refer you to a psychiatrist but they probably thought you would be offended by that so they didn't tell you that directly.
You may consult some psychiatrist.
|

replied May 28th, 2012
As I read through all these people with the vibration or purring feeling in the chest, they can't all be crazy. Im rather normal and have this happen too. I do not think I am stressed out, The feeling is not alarming was very strange to say the least. Any updates on this? I would love to know - Thanks
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
I ALSO HAVE VIBRATIONS IN MY L. CHEST AREA
Im shocked with dr. Nikola's response and suggestion to you to see a psychiatrist. How many male, so called professionals suggest that women somehow have psych problems when they address issues that are all too real. What a jerk, and i am shocked that you followed his advise. Its because of doctors like this that so many women with legitimate complaints related to heart problems end up dying of heart ailments. Come on ladies, its not in your head its in your heart, just as you describe it.. Wake up doctors! And shame on you dr. Nikola, shame on you. I bet if it were you feeling these vibrations in your chest you wouldnt see a psychiatrist, you would see a cardiologist, i also have these vibrations in my l.chest area...I Was told it was a heart situation...
|

replied June 24th, 2012
Chest vibrations
Driedroses. I noticed you responded today!! Funny that I look this up everyday and no one ever has an answer other than anxiety!!! My friend who is a doctor thinks it may be a coarction in my aorta because the vibration doesnt follow my heart beat. What about you?
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied September 27th, 2008
fluttering in chest on right side
I have been experiencing fluttering in my chest on the right side. What could be the problem. I have already been diagnosed with neurocardiogenic synopes. Could this be related to this illness or something new?
|

replied September 27th, 2008
To Dr. Nikola,
A neurologist that I saw for this problem prescribed Klonopin while awaiting the studies that I will have done to try and get to the bottom of this situation. While the Klonopin helps with the anxiety this situation has caused, it hasn't stopped the vibration, therefore, ruling out a psychological cause of the problem.

If this symptom is not cardiac related, nor psychologically based, do you have a suggestion as to what to investigate next?
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2008
Doctor
What kind of studies the neurologist ordered you to do?
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2010
Experienced User
Ive been dealing with this sort of thing, but while im sleeping or just about to fall asleep.... its like a dull vibrating feeling in my chest and sometimes it travels down to my legs... i think its muscular, but its only been happening recently.. its scary stuff and i dont know what do to... i dont think its my heart because my pulse is always normal when its happening.
|

replied October 30th, 2011
Chest vibrations and shaking!!!!Has anyone out there figured this out?? I vibrate mostly at night or if I am taking a nap. It seems to happen all night long. It generates from just left of center in my chest. I have tried taking Magnesium, wearing an estrogen patch, eliminating alcohol and caffeine and nothing has made a difference. I too have had a stress test and an echo and it and my blood pressure came back normal.
|

replied May 20th, 2011
I don't know if you would still be reading this website, but if you are, it IS your heart. I have the same thing. My pulse is normal too. It is your heart that is vibrating, or spasming. Do you smoke? Smoking damages the heart. I smoke - my lungs got bad first and then the heart thing started. Now that I've quit for a couple weeks, the vibrating has tapered off. I'm betting it will go away completely soon.
|

replied July 5th, 2011
Chest Shaking
I have been having vibrations in the chest and upper torso much like reported on this site. I believe I have had such shaking for a while but it only became more prevalent in the last several weeks. It appears stronger and more noticeable when my blood pressure goes up. I have had trouble regulating my pressures especially at night. During the day, my pressures are normal to maybe low but starting at around 6 PM it begins to rise and the shaking begins. The shaking is worse when I go to bed. On occasion, during the shaking, I will receive a "rush" of something like when embarrassed or caught doing something wrong as a kid. I take lozol, avilide, atenenol for HBP but still HBP is not fully controlled. I have clonindine to take when the pressures become too high. The shaking or buzzing occurs regardless of my pressures or pulse rate which is normally in the 72 range. I went to the ER several weeks ago and they did EKG and x-rays and and heart enzyme and other blood tests and again in 6 hours later to confirm the results and it only showed that my potassium was low and Rx'ed that. Next I wore a Holter monitor for two days but those results have not come in yet, maybe today. I am scheduled to go to the Heart Center Friday. Just to know that others have experienced the same shaking in the Chest and they they have not died or had attacks helps. Knowing your not alone or crazy is a liberating feeling. As I lay in bed last night, I wondered if it was anxiety attacks, but would that come mainly with HBP? I don't think folks who experience this shaking are crazy or need professional help.
|

replied October 30th, 2011
Chest vibrations
Chest vibrations and shaking!!!!Has anyone out there figured this out?? I vibrate mostly at night or if I am taking a nap. It seems to happen all night long. It generates from just left of center in my chest. I have tried taking Magnesium, wearing an estrogen patch, eliminating alcohol and caffeine and nothing has made a difference. I too have had a stress test and an echo and it and my blood pressure came back normal.
|

replied November 5th, 2011
I also am looking for answers...I've had a vibration where my heart is for 3 straight days now---an occasional stabbing pain started today as well. My EKG came back normal and the doctor has no idea what is causing the vibration feeling. I have never smoked. All of my friends and family are worried.
|

replied November 8th, 2011
I am the original poster of this issue. While I am sorry that there are other people having the same sensation, in an odd way, I am glad to know I am not alone. As you can see by the post date, it has been quite some time since this started. I can't pinpoint exactly when, but at some point in the last couple of years, this issue stopped as suddenly as it started. Knocking on wood that it stays that way. I had other medical issues that had to be tended to, and while no one will say conclusively, it is possible that the vibration I was experiencing was related to damage to my GI tract. The GI doctor who has been treating me for that issue stated that he has heard of this problem before and it could definitely be related to upper GI and/or esophagus damage. I hope all of you that are suffering find some measure of peace from this as I have.
|
Users who thank cmac42565 for this post: walkinbyfaith 

replied December 31st, 2012
I also have this issue, I had the monitor on for 24 hours-everything was fine, EKG- was done several times & they are abnormal so I had the address test done but it was 5 months layer due to breaking my leg the day before I was suppressed to take it.. Results were the heart was good.. I still have the thrill issue. Sometimes I feel it down to my left foot too. I think stress is the issue.
|

replied February 3rd, 2014
Thank you for posting about this! I too, have been experiencing this purring, painless sensation in my chest and sometimes it travels to my thigh! All cardiologist tests are normal. I was interested in your GI theory as I had gastric bypass surgery 9 years ago. The only fact that makes me wonder if the GI ideas fits me is that I've only had these sensations for the last 5 months. Any other folks with ideas out there?
|

replied November 15th, 2012
I believe the vibration is called the "thrill" or palpable vibrations. There are many causes of this from murmur to a vitamin deficiency. Look it you. Seeing Dr again tomorrow. Let ya know what he says.
|

replied April 22nd, 2013
Chest murmurs
I've been having the vibrations also. I work 3rd shift and I've noticed it acts up if I only get a few hours of sleep a day but if I get a full days sleep it's not so bad. I think it's stress related.
|

replied May 12th, 2013
Experienced User
OK, just going to say, what is wrong with the posting dates in this thread?!

Time travel from 2008 to 2012 and BACK AGAIN!? lol
|

replied June 22nd, 2014
Vibration L Breast
I have had the same vibration in the left breast for over a week now. Started 3 days following a nuclear stress test, and all of the typical tests accompaning. All tests turned out well. The issue is low pulse, worse periodically by fatigue issue. Still no explanation for the development of the vibration in left breast. Help!
|