Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Cast placement after k-wires removal

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
User Profile
I had an accident 6 weeks ago and my right second metacarpal was broken. 2 k-wires were inserted at that time and were removed yesterday. My doctor examined and said because I still feel pain when he touches my affected bone, so he placed a cast on my hand.

I actually feel comfortable when I do not move my right index finger, I wish I do not need to wear the cast, because it is heavy, itchy and causing me inconveniences.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2013
Especially eHealthy
lee_sh_87,

Unfortunately, it sounds like your fracture was not completely healed yet. The best test for determining if the fracture is solidly healed, is to palpate the fracture (press on it). If the patient has significant discomfort when this is done, then there is still some motion of the fragments, and the fracture still needs to be immobilized.

You also state that you still have pain when you move your index finger. Which can also be an indication that the fracture is still not united.

Yes, unfortunately, casts can be a pain to deal with, but it is usually necessary for the proper treatment of the fracture. If the fracture does not heal properly, you can have some significant problems down the road.

You will probably only have to have the cast on for a few weeks. In the big picture, that is actually a very short amount of time.

If the cast is uncomfortable or rubs in places, then you need to contact the surgeon. But, otherwise, you are just going to have to deal with it.

Good luck. Hope your metacarpal heals well.
|
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: lee_sh_87 

User Profile
I currently remove the cast while I do not sleep. I feel comfortable if like this, and I also make sure I do not move my index finger. My next appointment is on February 4th, by that time it should be healed. =)

Thanks for your advice.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
lee_sh_87,

It is your decision to remove the cast. Just be careful. You might want to buddy tape your index and middle fingers. That will help support the index finger some.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2013
Hi Gaelic,

No longer pain for the metacarpal of my index finger now. Now I have difficulty in flexing my index finger, it feels so stiff. What can I do?
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
lee_sh_87,

Unfortunately, when there has been a metacarpal fracture, the small muscles of the hand (the instrinsic muscles) can become scarred down.

So, you might want to look up the "six pack" of finger exercises (if you Google "six pack finger exercises" you can get several links to videos and articles on how to do these).

These are active finger exercises. You may also need to do passive motion, where you use the other hand to help move your index finger.

Also, if you buddy tape your index and middle fingers together, the middle finger will help move the index finger.

It is going to take some time and work to get your motion back.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2013
Thank you. I have tried six pack finger exercises and it works! Now I can hold a fist, but still have to exercise more to improve the strength.
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
lee_sh_87,

No problem.

Hope you get your hand function back soon.

Good luck. Continue to work hard.
|

replied August 6th, 2013
K wires in thumb
I had 2 k wires in my thumb 3 weeks ago and they gonna remove them on Thursday , do you think I will have a cast on again and if so how long you think ???
|

replied August 12th, 2013
k wires
Hi i have k wires in my wrist due to distal radius break and dislocation. Since having my cast changed last week i have been in pain with one of my wires is this normal? Also after the wires are removed will i need another cast on? Thanks
|

replied November 22nd, 2013
metacarpal and styloid fracture
I have similar fifth metacarpal as well as radial and ulnar styloid fractures fixed by k wires. i fear if i can use my hand like before or not. can you please advise good practices for the recovery?
|
Quick Reply