Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

Carpal Tunnel treatment

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
Hello,

I'm scared. I just had my bloodwork completed and completed several tests with a neurologist and he concluded that I have carpal tunnel. I'm female and 23.

I searched the internet and found a number of excercise 'systems' such as Flextend.com and would like to know if anyone has reviews on these type of excercise systems.

What have you found to be the most effective in managing the pain? I'm a student and don't have much funds, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My hand hurts most while typing and driving.

I'm new to all of this, so please be descriptive as possible

Many many thanks in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 21st, 2008
snp500, sorry to hear what you're going thru. I had the exact same, over 15 yrs ago when I started on keyboard a lot. I went to a few different docs, and they right away talked about surgery. But I declined, partly because no insurance. Then I found a chiro who helped a young friend with her thumb and carpal tunnel problems. He did massage and stretching on my forearms, and then I did cooling (with ice cubes and cold water) and strengthening (with a Wristiciser device). It took a few weeks to get past the acute phase, and then a few months to eliminate all pain. At first I didn't want to do strengthening, because it seemed like it would make it worse; but he explained that weak muscles were the root cause. Now I don't have to ice anymore -- just strengthening. If I slack off the strengthening, then the pain returns. So I stick with it, every other day. It's a small price to pay for keyboarding w/o pain. That Flextend looks like same idea, but not nearly as thorough as the device I'm using. That Flextend wire-thru-glove won't even do the exercises I found most effective: finger adjuction.

Oh, the first docs had me using wrist splints, which felt good at first, but never solved anything -- in fact, I slowly got worse -- and the chiro explained it was because the splints were allowing my muscles to weaken.

Hope this helps!
|

replied September 24th, 2008
Oops, I misspelled it. It should be "finger adduction." Anyway, that's what helped the most for me.
|

replied October 19th, 2008
Supporter
CTS is a result of median nerve compression. There are a number of treatments available, including physiotherapy and surgery. Resting the hand and using proper techniques in typing / other repetitious work can aid in managing the pain, as most people hyperextend the hand and thus damage the joint over long periods of time.

One question I have: which hand is it?
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2009
I have developed carpal tunnel from years of massage therapy. I found magnetic therapy to be the most effective treatment for it. I also found that most who go through the carpal tunnel syndrome end up with carpal tunnel again.

Magnetic therapy is non evasive and effective. I would highly recommend checking it out. You can get a nice bracelet for your wrist for about $30 and some of them are very stylish.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2009
I would counter that it does have support and research to back it up. Just because mainstream medicine does not agree with it does not mean it is not legitimate. Massage used to be believed that it was only good for luxury purposes until people started to see the benefits it provided. When patients started to address those concerns to their doctors, some doctors started to conduct research into it. Many European countries classify magnetics as medical devices whereas the FDA here does not. There is such a great counter argument to your reply that there is no support for magnetic therapy.
|

replied June 5th, 2009
Just some thoughts… The pain and numbness associated with carpal tunnel syndrome are a result of pressure on the nerves that run through the bones and cartilage in the wrist. Just as there could be many reasons for the pressure on the nerves there could be different ways to reduce the pressure. If you are lucky, rest of that area and time will allow inflammation to diminish enough to alleviate swelling and pressure on the nerves resulting in the eventual return of feeling and loss of pain. If the swelling is caused by something that you are doing, if you stop doing it the condition will improve.
On the other hand (no pun intended) some people have a predisposition to wrist problems. Scar tissue from a past injury may have narrowed the tunnel or you may have been born with a tighter tunnel. What ever the cause of your pain, your current actions have increased the pressure and pushed things over the edge.
You are wise to have consulted with your Dr. because there is a potential for the pain or problems to become permanent. My wife chose to handle things on her own. She is now left with one hand that will always have numbness and diminished hand dexterity. I have had symptoms in both of my wrists. I tried the anti inflammatory medications and therapies (Chiropractic and PT) until they recommend surgery. I had surgery on both wrists (at different times) and I have had good results.
Make sure that you take care of yourself and continue to investigate and find the right therapy.

Good Luck
|