Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
User Profile
hi im 28 yrs old and ive had trigger fonger surgery done on my right hand which was the wrong operation followed by carpal tunnel syndrome surgery in april this year unfortunatly it didnt go good im in more pain now than before
over the past few weeks ive been getting cts symptoms in my other hand i have been to see my GP who did some tests (bending the wrists etc) she says i have cts too so she as advised me to have splints on both my hands i was just wondering if there is anyone else out there thats got cts in both hands its so painful im also getting swelling on the top of my hand i have to wait till the 22nd of november to get splints for my hands as the orthapedic is jammed full at the moment

regards
lisa
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lyn62aus
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2010
Community Volunteer (online)
Hi lisanmaria: I have it too but question the splints on both hands...I use a wrist brace when mine get sore and generally wear it at night, but only when one is bothering me...By wearing them all the time you lose the strength in your wrists which, to me, is imperative in daily living......However, I have also brought my hands down to a lower level when I type...And believe me I type a lot...I do not over exert my wrists...Not lift anything heavy...Careful of sudden movements that are not natural to the wrists and to tell you the truth mine has been completely controlled...In many ways I think CT will be here for life...But I watch how and what I do...I wish you well...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2010
hi caroline
how are you? hope ur hands r ok today mine have been terrible my fore finger on my left hand as been twitching today the pain in my wrists are getting worse even on the hand that i have had the ct operation on is hurting bad still
i agree with u when u said that u think ct is there for life i have thought that too
my partner maria as been a total star she does do alot for me to help me out even pouring a kettle hurts like mad do u get the crunching or grinding in ur wrist when u move ur hand
im going to pick my splints up tomorrow hopefully they will work....but as u said its for life i dont think ct operations or splints really work
anyway hope to keep in touch takecare lisanmaria
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2010
Hi lisanmaria: I have found that there is also a thumb wrist brace that works out great when the CT is not acting up real bad...I just use the wrist brace when my CT does act up, which is very seldom...However, I type with my hands low...Having a pull out shelf on this U shaped desk deal that I have has solved my problem...I believe that many CT problems come from improper positioning of the wrists and abusing them when they should be treated with care...I cringe when I think of the kids of today with their texting....Years from now they could end up paying a price for these messages...Hope you feel better...Take care...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2010
hi caroline ive not seen the thumb wrist brace have googled it thou and seen one on the internet
i did alot of artwork growing up i really regret it now where abouts r u from..??..i had to go to a interview yesterday at the job centre as the goverment r trying to get people off benefits the things is i cant use my hands properly n im in alot of pain the pain killers im on r 30/500mg (solpadol) they r not working anyway the job centre said i have to get a job or my benefits will be effected as its cold today my hands have been really bad
how r ur hands today..??..hope ur well n everythings fine....how long have u had ur CT..??

takecare
lisa
|

replied November 16th, 2010
cts
hi,i had cts in both hands,severely enough for me to be medically retired from my driving job,splints and heat ointments do work for a while but i had surgery on my hands(both) and only have a slight bout of cts in 1 of them on rare occassions,cold damp etc,warm water helps,i used to wrap an old tea towel in warm water and place it around my wrists,shaking your hand in a vertical positions will allow some relief but surgery is the best result,its not as bad as some say,i was using my hands 12 hours after i left theatre,from shaun harrison in west bromwich england
|

replied November 16th, 2010
Hi, interesting reading these posts. I have cts in both hands and am due for surgery this Monday. I have been given the option of having both hands done at the same time or having one done then the other 3 weeks later. My thoughts at this stage are to get them both done at the same time as it will mean less down time.

I have been splinting my wrists at night for the past 6 months but during the day rarely splint them and continue to use them despite the pain. I have opted for the surgery as I use my hands a lot as I am on a small farm and do a fair bit of physical work.

I am 47 snd the first signs of cts occured when I was pregnant with my first child. This was due to a change in hormones during pregnancy. I was advised then that if it didn't clear up following pregnancy I would need surgery. Thankfully it went away, but has returned with avengance now that I am going through menopause.

Has anyone else had surgery done to both hands at the same time? and how did they cope... would be interested to know the recovery time.
Cheers
Lyn
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2010
Definitely not...This is a happening...Angry, sad or anything else, it makes no difference...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied December 28th, 2010
Feedback following surgery on both wrists
I thought that I would return with feedback on how my surgery went.
I decided on the day that I went into hospital to have both wrists done at the same time. A couple of the nurses questioned this but I had made up my mind and was not going to be swayed. The surgeon came to see me prior to the procedure and was happy to do both wrists and trusted in my decision.
I was told I would need to stay overnight, however I decided to go home that night with some pain relief as I felt I would be more comfortable at home. I was able to pick up a cup and drink from it and didn't really have much pain. I needed help of course to get dressed to go home. I felt a bit helpless for the first day, though was able to go to the bathroom on my own and not need assistance. I spent the majority of the first week in bed watching dvd's but used my hands as much as possible using my pain as a guide. By day 3 I was making myself coffee and sandwiches for lunch and was rather pleased with how I was progressing.
I returned to the surgery to have my stitches out 7 days later and the staff marvelled at how well I was doing. The wounds had healed very well and my surgeon was very impressed with my progress, saying that some patients still have their arm in a sling up to 4 weeks after surgery. I hadn't used a sling at all. He seemed to think that due to me using my hands it had helped with the recovery process. His advice was for me to continue to do what I felt comfortable doing and to let pain be my guide.
After the stitches came out I basically got back to doing everyday things and haven't looked back.
It has been 4 weeks now since my surgery and I am now continuing with renovations to my kitchen, lots of hammering and lifting. My right wrist aches a little at night but I bandage it when I go to bed and it is fine by the morning. I still don't have the full strenght back in my wrists but that will come in time.
Gone are the sleepless nights due pain shooting up my arms and pins and needles in my hands.
I am so pleased I decided to get the two wrists done at the same time as it all over and done with now.
I think my positive attitude and using my hands as much as I could following surgery has all contributed to a fast recovery.
I would recommend having both wrists done at the same time to anyone.... as long as you stay positive and don't wrap yourself in cotton wool.
I hope this info is of help to others! boogie
|
Quick Reply