Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

carpal tunnel surgery, is this considered workmans comp?

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
Im set to have surgery on my right hand then 6-8 weeks after that my left hand, I work for the indian health clininc as a dental receptionist the question I have: is this considered workmans comp? Please reply asap, I think I will be out of work for like six months and I dont think my FMLA covers that far:( please I need guidence........
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Mills36,

First, I do not think that you will be out of work for six months. Most patients can get back to usual activities in about 3 or 4 weeks after surgery. Heavy grasping and weight bearing on the hands may take a little longer.

While carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) has been shown to be higher in occupations which require strong repetitive grasping activities which have a vibratory component, most companies, states, nations have taken CTS off the worker's compensation roles (especially for secretaries, data entry, etc). But, the only way to know for sure it to ask.

Again, you should be able to get back to the duties of a receptionist fairly quickly. Six months is really a very long time, it should not take anywhere close to that long to get back.

After my CTS surgeries, I returned to work as a teacher the next day, while I was still in my surgical dressings. But, I would recommend that most patients take at least a few days off after surgery. Again, you should be able to get back to regular activities of daily living in less than three weeks. Heavy activities will take a little longer. And, some patients may have continued pain if they weight bear on the palms of the hands for several months (such as when you have to do a lot of pushups for the military).

Again, about the worker's compensation, ask. You never know till you inquire about it.

Good luck with your upcoming surgeries.
|
Did you find this post helpful?