Medical Questions > Parenting > Teens Forum

cant stand home, only 15 can i leave legally? (Page 1)

hi im 15 nd i cant stand home. my dads over controling and my mother is mentally unstable always saying she wants to commit suicide. My dad wont let me see my byfriend cause of some stupid inncident. theres so many issues nd i just cant take t anymore, please someone, let me know
thanks, reply really soon Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper monofobicgirl
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2009
Supporter
I understand that home is not the best place right now and your mother shouldn't be talking about suicide in front of you, but if you left, where would you go? If you have a safe home of a friend or relative to live it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. However, many teens end up on the streets each year and that's not better than home. I think legally, it depends on your parents and where you are going. Will your parents fight you from leaving? Do they understand how you are feeling?
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
yes they understand nd they state that i cannot leave r else they'll call the police and have me put away. \my mother i bipolar and i was put n anti depressents cause of cutting due to stress, but all that has stopped since i'e been with this guy. And i hav many places to go and they indeed would fight for me to say home. please let me know if theres any legal way of leaving thanks
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2009
Supporter
i m sorry you have to deal with such adult issues. i also glade to hear that there are safe places that you can go to. i thin the easiest way is to wait until your 18 when your able to walk away. you can look at it as if you have 2.5 years left to move into a stable safe comfortable environment.
child services was involved in my family, and they didnt do anything to remove my sister or me.
the only legal way is to try to get yourself emancipation proving that you can take care of yourself.
i wouldnt recordmend you run away, because that would be a bad idea.
is your mother trying to get help with her conditon? do you have any other siblings?
|

replied August 24th, 2009
i hve 2 brothers ones 18 and has a baby on the way, the other is 16, and he has his girlfriend moving in my mother is on medictin but its not working, a couple days go she tried to commit suicide and she was going to o.d on her meds. i just cant take the stress,give me a couple links to follow to find out a way to leave at 15. its to much and makes me wanna run away
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2009
Supporter
it breaks my heart to hear that you have to go through something like this at your age.
i dont want you to run away and then child services get involved and place you in a home.
who is the person that you are planning on living with?
your going to have an adult relative to stand up for you and able to try to get custody of you.
i dont know what else to say, but try to talk to your counselor at school to see if they can offer better advice in your situation.
did you talk to your brothers about how you feel? are they handling better?
|

replied September 16th, 2009
i hate parents we have a rite!!!
i want to leave home coz my mum just told me wat my hole family thinks of me n i cant stand it no more they dont want me n there shuld be some legal way fopr 15 year old teenageers be able to leave coz parents aren harshn they dont now wat u go through. i rather4 live on the street then stay with people that think im a bad person..my mum said if i leave they call the policeon me coz im a minor but its realy stupid coz we have a right to get freedom from all the pain that parents give us..
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2009
Supporter
biteme94,
i known someone who lived on a college campus and had four years of her college paid for my grants and scholarships.
you only have a few years. why dont you research scholarships on the internet. this would be a win-win situation.
also know that there is no manual book of how to raise a child. if you are being promiscuous, your mother is probably acting out on hurt.
i dont beleive some parents should sit down and talk to their kids about problems that arise.
my mother had a problem with the transition of me being a teenager to an adult.
i never understand my mom until i had my son!
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Running away is not the awnser trust me! my girlfriend is mentally unstable and has recently ran away it has caused so much worry for her parents friends and those who care about her. She has now been missing for two weeks and is not taking her meds. For all we know she is dead! No one has heard from at all! shes gone! RUNNING AWAY will only make it worse. for evreyone especially yourself!
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Another good reason not to runaway! When parents seem hard on you and seems like evreyone is against you. Its probaly there weird way of showing there love and care for you. Try to understand there position. From what i know runnig away causes more problems than before, makes parents crazy worried and causes so much despair and other horrible feelings of regret trust me ive been thru it and am now going thru it now! my girlfriend decided to runaway now she is offically a missing report. she up and left with nothing not even a change of clothes. she is probaly dead. DONT RUNAWAY ESPECIALLY TEENS!!! its a brutal world!!
|

replied November 21st, 2009
I don't know what country your from but here in NZ you can leave home legally at 16.

This however would be a silly idea unless you had somewhere to go.
Call relatives first then try friends try to sort out a long term plan.

Do some research on the internet to find out when you can legally leave.

Call a helpline and ask for advice.

If stuff gets too hard then I would definitly suggest running away, just dont get yourself into a bad situation.
Sleep at a park for a few nights and let your parents ring the police.
This way it will step things up to the next level and you may get th results you desire.

Goodluck anyway. =]
|

replied December 12th, 2009
Im going through the same thing and this is what i found---
Hey, im lookin in on the same things, my mother is a drug adict and abusive and my father is emotionaly unstable, an alcoholic, and is emotionaly abusive to me. I have a place to go, it is my boyfriend so i do understand. Actually there is one way, its what im doing. At 15 you cant really do anything which is stupid but i found one thing, it stated that you can legally move out at 15 if there is a 'just cause' such as endagerment to you or emotional and/or physical abuse but the person you live with has to report the issue. I talked to my school counselor and she told me to go to the Central Office (here its called LISD because its the independant school district.) and to get my school things switched over to his name and such. However, i have my grandma on my side, sortof, and she also has to sign the paper so try to get someone on your side and thats what im doing. Hopefully this was a little help. Im sorry about your position.
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2011
Re: cant stand home, only 15 can i leave legally?
monofobicgirl wrote:
hi im 15 nd i cant stand home. my dads over controling and my mother is mentally unstable always saying she wants to commit suicide. My dad wont let me see my byfriend cause of some stupid inncident. theres so many issues nd i just cant take t anymore, please someone, let me know
thanks, reply really soon Sad

i was told last night you can but their is allot of paper work you have to go though and also i'm destinee if you need to talk i'm here for yea i no how it is
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2011
i left for 2 resons but the most is that i was kicked out why should i stay there i lived with my aunt and uncle and my sister and dad my dad is a bousive my aunt cant stand us cause she cant have kids and my dad yea my sisster is his prided and joy
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2011
and last night my dad said he mite be dieing but i dont realy care i mean it sounds mean but it seem like he dont care about me
|

replied May 31st, 2011
hi guys i understand you situation. im in the same one atm and the only thing that has helped me is constant running away and living with my boyfriend. i dont know about where you guys live but in nz you have 3 options. 1, wait til your 16 then move out. 2, emancipation( change of legal guardian). and 3, is a complicated process but mainly is not having any contact to your family for 3 months then you can legally disown your parents.

the last one needs more reasearch but could be a good option if your parents are drug/alchol abusers.
|

replied December 26th, 2011
That's horrible!! I can't believe u actually have to go through all this!! U shouldn't run away. Not until ur 18 anyway. Wat u should do is try to block the world out. Do u have a special place u like to go to? A place where u feel safe and peaceful?? If yes then u should spend time there. As much time as possible. Try to avoid ur dad but not ur mom. She can recover u know? U just have to show her love and care. I know I might sound like a freak but trust me it helps once u try it. And once ur moms alittle more stable, u will notice a BIG change in the house. U can't run away now. U can't change the way ur dad thinks, u can change the way u respond to wats happening. Try to help ur mom. Everyone deserves a second chance. Even u. And if ur mom gets better u'll get a chance at a better life. I know I might not make anysense to u at the moment, but try wat I suggested. Just try. And I wish I couldve helped more. I wish u the best of luck! Oh and ps: EVERYTHING changes. Everything! One day u'll have a great life and u'll know that everything happens for a reason.
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
I'm 15 aswell and I'm also wanting to leave home, I have been from the age of 10. I come from a broken family which my mother has married my "stepfather" and my real dad isn't on the scene at all. My "stepfather" has a 14 year old son that has Aspergers Syndrome. All my siblings have it except for me, this is really tough to deal with. My step brother is really violent and demanding and this makes me hate my life and feel like commiting suicide. The thing is, is that I want to succeed with my life, without them dragging me down. My parents are both unemployed and use my stepbrothers disablilty as an excuse. I've told them a million times that i want to leave home because I'm tired of the family violence, I've even asked to be put into CYFS care. I have an amazing boyfriend and his family is great, his mum would take me in, in a heartbeat but I dont feel this would be the best option. I've had enough of crying so much and getting physically attacked by my brother. I try to tell my parents but they always say you dont know how hard it is for us either. No one will listen to me, even when it gets serious. Can someone please give me some advice or something? Because I dont know what else to do.
|

replied June 25th, 2013
help
dont run away hold on as if u run away then u have the police to worry about i have done it before and i still want to leave but im waiting as i csan move out legally when i am 16 sunny
|

replied July 8th, 2013
i want to ask a few question and i have a girl friend and she's korean and im half korean and half japanese im 18 and she is 15 the problem is that she want to leave her parents cuz her dad is crazy when i mean crazy ( he will brake my GF legs and the uncle will shave of her hair and kick her out of the house now if the dad knows that im going out with my gf which he did he will kill me with out a warning which i have tested which it almost came through and now he is telling my gf to stay away from me and she does not want to leave me just because of her age limit that she cant leave at a certain point) now i have been searching for my life to save her to get her out of the house which is always a problem because of the rule now i saw the reply you guy sent each other which is useful but not useful enough to actually take care of her and i know the age wise between me and her is far but if u love that parson and she loves u back u will do any thing to save her even if it mean ur life to get her out of that situation ( plzzz help me and i know waiting is the answer to every thing but this situation is big like life and death type)
|
12 >>
Tags: Suicide
Quick Reply