Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

cant smile when nervous

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
sometimes when im nervous and try to smile i cant smile and my mouth almost trembles a bit. im 17 and this only started recently. what could this be? what do i do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2008
Supporter
One of the most helpful practices for anxiety is breathing and meditation to relax. You might want to learn some breathing techniques to calm you down so that you can smile when you are nervous.
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2008
Yea breathing techniques is always helpful...sometimes I feel its all mental too..the body could be weird and the nerves are probably just sensing you are nervous to they are sending a message to your mouth area thats maybe not allowing you to smile? I wouldnt worry...but if its bothering u or happens alot maybe you should check it out
|

replied July 31st, 2011
i had this same problem for years and im only 13 no matter what i do i cant seem to smile when im nervous especially when im the center of attention this is ruining my life because i cant live to my full potential if im always nervous and i dont know how to relax.My mom told me i didnt smile much as a baby either but this is making it hard to meet people and live a normal life.
|

replied July 31st, 2011
i cant be a normal 13 year old girl
i had this same problem for years and im only 13 no matter what i do i cant seem to smile when im nervous especially when im the center of attention this is ruining my life because i cant live to my full potential if im always nervous and i dont know how to relax.My mom told me i didnt smile much as a baby either but this is making it hard to meet people and live a normal life.
|

replied July 31st, 2011
i get all twitchy and jittery and paranoid in crowded places and it sucks because no one seems to understand or care not my family or friends and they dont know how it affects my self esteem. they think its so easy and ill grow out of it but its been years how am i supposed to become an awesome doctor or surgeon like this in the future.
|