Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Cannot vomit

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
User Profile
I cannot vomit! No matter how hard I try to purge, I cannot seem to get it to come up. I am looking for alterer motives or tactics of any kind...
I suppose I'm bulimic, but recently I CAN'T for the life of me get myself to vomit! Is there a reason for this? I feel no pain, no blood.
I don't know what to do... because no matter what anyone says against this eating disorder, I'm going to give it a try.
I'd like to know if I'm supposed to be worried about my lack of ability to vomit. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper anon85
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Supporter
because no matter what anyone says against this eating disorder, I'm going to give it a try.
(Have you thought this might be one way God is talking to you) you say you want to hear from him..

You say you want to quit and then you move forward..Honey you gotta get back on track..kd
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
Supporter
Maybe it is your body's way of telling you it's had enough? Are you doing it for weight control or control period?
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
Experienced User
Weight control...
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
Experienced User
You no longer can make your self sick becuase your gag reflex has become very tolerant. (Making yourself throw up has caused your body to become use to it). So there is nothing you can do besides look for an alternative path into weight loss as now your gag reflex has adapted to your bulimia .. hmmm maybe try going to the gym and not eating fatty foods? Just going out on a limb there.
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2009
Supporter
Okay sweetie how is that box going? I really do think your body is telling whoah I cant do that anymore. What is your typical daily intake of food and liquids? Maybe I can help you figure out what to change? The fastest way to loose weight is drinking water and eating every 4 hours. Small meals. Get a exercise routine. So give me the 411 on what you eat. Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2009
Experienced User
I used to be bulimic a while back... it totally messed up my stomach. It was mostly in middle school and 9th grade. I would eat and throw up. I have been to the ER 4 times now because my stomach is so messed up, they thought it was ulcers, but turns out my digestive system was all outta wack, and now i have a slow metabolism and can only eat small meals, otherwise Ill gain weight like a mad man. But you should try to eat small amounts throughout the day. If you do that, then you dont feel so full. Whenever I starved my self, I would eat a BUNCH, then I would feel full, and make myself sick, but If you wat small meals, it helps in EVERY WAY!!! I had alot of help from family. If you ever need someone who has gone through it, im here to talk to you, and help you get over it. I know you may not want help, but send me a message, I'd be so glad to help! =D
|
Users who thank Mariee2009 for this post: kdlee 

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
Well, you guys, I've never been a bulimic before, I was anorexic for a while... but now I'm just trying out bulimia, (I know that sounds awful) because it's easier to hide... So, in this light, why wouldn't I be able to purge?
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2009
Supporter
Found this in the St Louis psychologist stie

Eating Disorders: Bulimia Nervosa vs. Anorexia Nervosa

Eating Disorders - Differences and similarities between bulimia nervosa and anorexia nervosa:

Similarities between the eating disorders:

Bulimia nervosa and anorexia nervosa are very similar in many ways. Both eating disorders typically begin after a period of dieting by people who are fearful of becoming obese; driven to become thin; preoccupied with food, weight, and appearance; and struggling with feelings of depression, anxiety, and the need to be perfect. Substance abuse may accompany these eating disorders, perhaps beginning with the excessive use of diet pills. People with either disorder believe that they weigh too much and look too heavy regardless of their actual weight or appearance. And, both of these eating disorders are marked by disturbed attitudes towards eating. One study found, for example, that women with bulimia nervosa generally perceived their body size to be larger then did control subjects of similar size, and believed that their body size became larger still after they ate a small snack.

Differences between bulimia nervosa and anorexia nervosa:

The two eating disorders, bulimia nervosa and anorexia nervosa also differ in many ways. Although people with either eating disorder worry about the opinions of others, those with bulimia nervosa tend to be more concerned about pleasing others, being attractive to others, and having intimate relationships. They also tend to be more sexually experienced and active than people with anorexia nervosa. On the positive side, people with bulimia nervosa display fewer of the obsessive qualities that drive people with restricting-type anorexia nervosa, to control their caloric intake so rigidly. On the negative side, they are more likely to have long histories of mood swings, becoming easily frustrated or bored, and have trouble coping effectively or controlling their impulses. Individuals with bulimia nervosa also tend to be ruled by strong emotions and may change friends and relationships frequently. Also, more than one-third of bulimics display the characteristics of a personality disorder.

Another key difference between these two eating disorders is the nature of the medical complications that accompany each. Only half of women with bulimia nervosa are amenorrhic or have very irregular menstrual periods, compared to almost all of those with anorexia nervosa. On the other hand, repeated vomiting bathes the teeth and gums in hydrochloric acid, leading some women with bulimia nervosa to experience serious dental problems, such as a breakdown of enamel and even the loss of teeth. Moreover, frequent vomiting or chronic diarrhea (from the use of laxatives) can cause dangerous potassium deficiencies, which may lead to weakness, intestinal disorders, kidney disease, or heart damage.

Information from Ronald J. Comer's Abnormal Psychology

Revised for the internet by Paul Susic MA Licensed Psychologist Ph.D Candidate
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
Thanks. This was greatly helpful...and quite true.
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Help
I love food but I wanna be skinny. I try to vomit but I can't. I tried to put my fingers in my throat or toothbrush and everything that was told on pro-mia blogs. Please help. (Don't tell me this is bad because I am anorexic and I know everything about it. I just wanna be able to vomit after I binge)
|

replied April 6th, 2013
multiple gag reflexes
You have more than one gag reflex. Sword swallowers say there are 3 before you hit the stomach, so if you were able to massage the second or third... I'm not condoning this, but I have used this technique to pretty good results long ago in my binge-drinking days. I assume it would work the same here. If massage doesn't work and you've located the second or third gag reflex, punch them. A bruise may result, but at least no one will see it.
|