Medical Questions > Mens Health > Prostate Forum

Cannot pee

Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
User Profile
i have to catheter myself because i just cannot pee on my own could there be some kind of blockage or does a muscle need relaxing if so what med should i use to relax it

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2009
Prostate Answer A6270

According to the data you provided, you might be experiencing Benign prostatic Hyperplasia. This condition is characterized by enlarged nodules in the periurethral region of the prostate. Since the prostate is actually situated around the starting part of the urethra, this enlargement decreases the diameter of the urethra, thus making it hard to start urinating. Stop of the urine flow in the middle of the urination is also a very common symptom. Since the bladder is not completely emptied, it will soon become full again and the patient will experience frequent urges to urinate.
The treatment includes catheterization in the first place to enable the urine flow. Afterwards, surgery to remove the prostate might be suggested.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Prostate , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.