Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

can you hear your own heart beat during ultrasound?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I went in for a abdominal ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound to find out why i have been spotting instead of having a period. I had my tubes tied back in March of 99 and have always been right on time with my cycle. During the ultrasounds i heard heart beats the tech wouldnt tell me yes or no...I was just wondering if you can hear your own heart beat during these procedures.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 29th, 2012
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A32183
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If you are thin built person, it is possible to hear pulsation sounds. Spotting could also suggest possibility of pregnancy (possible due to chances of spontaneous recanalization of fallopian tubes). Look out for development of any other new symptoms if pregnancy is suspected. If periods do not start within 10 days of expected period dates, or if you get abnormal periods, or if you suspect chances of pregnancy, consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). Consider repeating the ultrasound scan and go ahead with getting HCG levels checked to confirm/rule out pregnancy and confirm gestational age (if you are pregnant).
Other causes for spotting could be hormonal derangements, thyroid abnormality, menopausal onset etc. If pregnancy gets ruled out, go ahead with getting hormonal analysis done to look for the underlying cause. Get started on treatment as indicated by examination findings and investigation results. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.