Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Can you die from an epilepsy seizure?

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
My friend's boyfriend has Epilepsy, they were taking a walk and he had a seizure. He is in the hospital and she fears that he will die. So, can people die from having an epilepsy seizure??? PLEASE HELP!!!! baffle
Thank You!! doctor nurse
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2011
SUDEP refers to Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy and can be a very real concern (estimates state that 8-17% of epilieptics may die from this). However, most of the current research suggests that this may be from cardiovascular related causes. As such, making sure that an epileptic patient takes very good care of their cardiovascular health may lower the risk.

What should be of greater concern, however, is the progressive loss of brain function over the years that can occur to epileptics. This is due to the underlying problem in seizures that affects the brain.

Overall, lifestyle changes can have a very large impact on brain health (no refined carbs, higher intakes of healthy fats w/ lower intake of unhealthy fats, exercise, stress reduction, more fruits / veggies /spices, etc..) and can protect the brain for decades to come.

Without a thorough medical history, this forum is not designed to diagnose, but rather, to help guide readers to a longer, healthier life.
Mesa, AZ's most innovative approach to Chiropractic Medicine!!
|

replied October 29th, 2012
health tip's
I have epilepsy like really bad and that's two or more seizure that can be about five or even more so.i was.wondering could I die any soon because also I have alot of like crims in my head all day long in my brain and they alway's hurt like hell but I just keep going on with life I alway's try to keep god frist in my life.
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2012
Are you currently seeing a neurologist?
Mesa, AZ's most innovative approach to Chiropractic Medicine!!
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.