Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Can urinary tract infection be associated with inguinal hernia

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
I had an operation yesterday to repair an inguinal hernia. Prior to the operation, for some months, I was having the symptoms of a recurrent urinary tract infection. No medical person has confirmed whether the hernia was the cause, including my surgeon. My greatest concern at present is that, running up to the operation, the symptoms worsened and remain worse now (although I appreciate it is only twenty-four hours since my operation!). I would be so grateful to hear from any other women who have experienced the same as I long for reassurance that the symptoms will cease eventually. Prior to diagnosis of the hernia, I never experienced any urinary tract problems. With many thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 7th, 2011
Hernia and urinary tract infection symptoms
Since posting the above query concerning a possible link between hernia and urinary tract infection, I have seen my surgeon for a check-up and told the operation (which used a mesh) went well. However, the bladder symptoms have continued unabated and he tells me they are definitely unassociated with the hernia. I just wanted to let others know because I had seen on another internet site that an inguinal hernia will give the symptoms of a urinary tract infection in cases where the hernia has entrapped the bladder. When I told the surgeon this he confirmed that a hernia can trap the bladder but that this is really rare (in approximately 1,000 operations he would only see this once or twice). In summary, if other women do get these symptoms, it is advisable not to connect it with hernia.
|

replied August 9th, 2013
I got a hernia about 3 weeks ago, but I have had bladder problems for over a year, I feel that the urinary track infection is what caused my hernia. I did a little research and found out that the bladder is actually connected directly to the navel by a median umbilical ligament called URACHUS. I feel that in order for your hernia to heal, we would have to heal the bladder infection first.
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2013
Thank you for your reply which is useful to know.

It is perhaps worth me saying, for others experiencing urinary tract symptoms, that my symptoms turn out to be almost certainly as a result of an under-active thyroid (also called hypothyroidism) which I have been diagnosed with in April this year.

All the very best with your own symptoms. I do hope you get effective treatment soon.
|