Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

can this be ars?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi there,

I know that ars symptoms are usually not specific enough that on the basis of them you could diagnose HIV. However, I would like to know if my symptoms that I developed 3 weeks after exposure resemble ars. That is, I would like to know as much as possible about typical ars.

My symptoms: fever which is lasting for 9 days now. it never reached more than 37.6 C, and most of the time is around 37.2 C. It was constant for about 6 days. Then it went away for a few times and came back. However, I did really loads of reading on ars and majority of sources say that fever must be at least 38.4 C to be an ars symptom and that usually it is over 39 C. Is that definitelly the case? Can it be that a low grade fever like mine could be HIV related? Also, I read t
hat ars fever must be coonstant. And as I said mine was for 6 days. But now its a bit on and off. Could it be that ars fever towards the end would start going on and off?

Also, I have a sore throat. Which interestingly became sore after 2 days I had fever. No antibiotics help and my throat is still red.

I had joint and muscle aches. Mostly the first days when fever was higher, but I still believe to feel sth now in my joints..

I also had severe headaches the first days but I think that could have been to anxiety and constant crying.

I had diarrhea and couldnt eat the first two days. Ho twever, I suspect that to be from severe anxiety as well.

I do not seem to have any swollen glands or a rash.

I would like to know if fever usually comes with a rash or can ars consist of only sore throat and such low grade fever. Also, can it be that a rash would appear later when the fever is gone or do all symptoms suppose to appear at once?

Generally I feel completelly fine now. The fever when I have it is so low that I really don't feel it. My throat is not that much sore as red.

I went to my GP, but they said they don't know what was wrong with me. and that this can just be any virus. However thay did find it strange that my fever still holds and that my throat is still sore even after using antibiotics..

Sorry for a long post but I just thought it will be easier for u to answer my questions if i gave u a thorough report of my symptoms.

I just want to know are my symptoms very similar to ars, or not really due to low grade fever and a missing rash or sth.

Also, if its ars, all the symptoms will go away in 1-2 weeks, won't they?

Thanks so much!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Your symptoms do not appear to be due to HIV, but appear to be that of viral pharyngitis, which has resulted in a post infectious cough.

Such cough is usually very annoying, and lasts for a few days after the infection has subsided.

You might be helped by OTC medications like cough lozenges, benadryl, Sudafed and Mucinex-DM which might help to reduce your symptoms to a great extent.

For people who think they may have been exposed to HIV, having a test and receiving a negative result (which means they are not infected with HIV), can put their mind at rest.

To relieve yoru anxiety and for a definitive diagnosis, you might consider getting screened with HIV test. This will help you get over the past exposure and move on ahead in your life.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.