Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Can the tubal clamps fall off or loosen?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am trying to find out what the rate is of pregnancy among people who had the clamps put on their tubes. I had mine done 9 years ago and I have heard that the likelihood of getting pregnant only increases as you go further in years. Can the clamps fall off or loosen? I am asking this only because I have been divorced since 2003 and got into a serious relationship about 2 years ago and just wanted to check into the idea of getting pregnant naturally without having to have a reversal.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2012
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
There are chances of spontaneous recanalization, after few years of tubal ligation. The incidence/chances of tubal ligation failure or spontaneous recanalization depends on the type of procedure followed to ligate the tubes. Few methods are associated with high incidence of spontaneous recanalization, and few are with very minimal chances of recanalization. If you are having functional ovaries and if you are planning for pregnancy, consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for getting further evaluation done along with a HSG (hysterosalpingogram) test to check for the patency of the fallopian tubes. If the test shows patency of tubes, (along with normal functioning of ovaries), you can go ahead with your pregnancy plans. If tubes are blocked (ligation is present), and non-patent (as shown by the HSG test result), then you will have to undergo surgery for tubal reversal/removal of clips/removal of ligation to make them patent and then try for pregnancy. Look out for development of symptoms suggestive of ectopic pregnancy (chances are high due to scarring). If you do not intend to go ahead with surgery, or if the surgery cannot be done, you can opt for options like IVF. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for further clarification and assistance.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.