Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

can't touch cloth with wet hands (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
Hi I am a 22 year old woman. Everytime I wash the dishes, bathe my son, take a shower, swim, pretty much everytime my hands have been in water for over a few minutes or so I can't touch any clothing, towels or ANY type of clothe material. If I do touch any clothe like material, I get the feeling like someones scratching nails across a chalk board, through my whole body, thats the closest way to explain the feeling. So I have to wait at least 20 minutes before I can get dressed or touch anything after showering or swimming or getting my hands wet. I'm not sure how to explain the feeling, its so confusing and frustrating to me. And with some materials I get the same feelilng when my hands are dry and the sound of zippening up lugagge. I have asked different doctors and none of them know what it is. One suggested it could be a hyperactive thyroid because I have sweaty palms, but all the tests said I don't have that. It started about a year and a half ago, a few months or so after I had my son, so I have not always had this problem. I hope someone in here can help me because I need it, thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AngieD9
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
This sounds like a mineral deficiency. Mineral difeciencies can present in odd ways. Try taking a vitamin/mineral supplement. Trace minerals are frequently minerals that people lack in. You can find these types of products at a natural food store.
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2008
Experienced User
I will definately try it, it makes since. Thank you so much!
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I hope this helps you. It may not go away immediately but give the supplements a chance. They won't hurt you to take them. All the best.
|

replied July 27th, 2008
irritating wet hands
My 22 year old daughter has problems with her hands irritating her when they get wet and sometimes just touching hot cloths. It's worse sometimes then others. She explains it like finger nails on a chalkboard, or pulling a cloth between your teeth. If anyone has any information on what this could be or where I might go to get some answers, that would be wonderful.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2008
Experienced User
Thats the same feeling I have also! I've been taking New Chapter Organics, its an Every Woman's One Daily Supplement. It helped a little but not really. I have also gone to every doctor I have and asked them and no one knows what it is! Its so irritating because it bothers me after I give my son a bath or after I shower, after I swim, after I do dishes or anything with water pretty much. And it lasts for awhile even after there dry. I wish I had some answers for you but I'm still trying to figure those out myself. I'm pretty sure it has to do with my hormones from having my son. It started around last year, thats the only thing I could think of. Well good luck and if you find anything that helps please let me know!!! Very Happy Its nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem, I thought I was loosing my mind lol.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2008
WOW! ..... This is Amazing!!!!!
I am the 22 Year Old Daughter of DarleneSmith65! This is unbelieveable that someone has the Same Exact Thing As Me!........ People think that I am Crazy! I have every symptom that you said, plus if I touch hot laundry or rough materials sometimes! The Only thing that I know to do is add excessive amounts of lotion to your hands after they get wet! It doesn't work a lot but sometimes! Very Happy I don't have insurance, so I can't go to a doctor about it, so please let me know if you find out anything! .... Thanks!
|

replied December 23rd, 2011
my hands become dry and hate the feel of most materials!!!
i have the same problem. I hate the feel
of most materials on my skin apart from wood paper or marble etc. Most people i tell
think it's weird it's not painful but after weeks and weeks it can get slightly depressing as
it makes me fell cold and sends a shiver down my spine! what
should i do???
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2008
Experienced User
I know exactly what you mean, people thought I was crazy to!!! I'll have to try the lotion! The same here with some rough materials and laundry! Yeh you can try minerals/vitamins like Antigone said above it could be a mineral dificiency. I went to the health food store and told them I may have a mineral dificiency and I need the best of what you have to help! So they gave me the New Chapter Organics, its an Every Woman's One Daily Supplement. Like I said its helped a little and I've been taking it for about a month now. You should try it though, it may work for you, or any vitamins/minerals. It wouldn't hurt you at all because it is all healthy! Well I'll do all the Dr. stuff and if I ever find something out I will definately let you know ASAP!!! Thanks again take care!
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2008
Have you tried using lotion?? I hate this feeling! It Really Sux! Sad
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2008
Experienced User
Yeh I actually used it yesterday when I got out of the shower, it actually helped a little bit! Thanks! When did this all start for you? Do you have any babies, because thats when mine started, not long after I had my son.
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2008
.... For the Mean Time Until We Figure Out What This Is, Just Use Lots and Lots of Lotion! Very Happy I Don't Rememeber Exactly, but I Do Know I Had It B4 My Little Girl Was Born, but I Believe It Might Be Worse Now! It Really Sux When You Tell Someone You Can't Do Something That Involves Water, Because You Don't Want That Feeling 2 Come Around, and They Look @ You Like Your Stupid, or Just Plain Lazy! Sad I Really Wish Someone Would Be Able to Tell Us What This Is, and Be Done With It! I'm Not Sure How Often You Deal With This, But I Deal With This @ Least Once Every Single Day! Sad It Makes Me Soooo Irritable and Mean!
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2008
Experienced User
Yeh I deal with it at least once a day to! After the dishes, showering, doing laundry ugh Sad My Husband usually gives our son a bath just because it bothers me so much. And the lotion has actually been working pretty well, thanks! I use it all the time. Hopefully we can figure this out one day!
|

replied May 18th, 2012
Wow I'm not alone, I'm going through same exact issue for years!
I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I too have the exact same problem. Anytime my hands or feet are wet I constantly have to lather them in lotion and hate touching fabric with wet hands and it's worse with pruned hands. Just thinking about it has me stressed out and panicky, I get a sick to my stomach feeling just thinking about it and when I hear someone dry his off with a towel the sound is like a nails in a chalk board stress feeling, I'm obsessed with using lotion all day every day and I had this issue since I was a child and I'm 27. It's severe for me. I have to wear gloves to do dishes or to transfer wet laundry into the drier. Even if I touch a droplet of water with tip of my finger by accident, I have to run to bathroom and out lotion on immediately! I bring my lotion everywhere with me. There has to be a diagnosis and cure for this, wish I knew what it was.
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2008
Experienced User
Hey KayleesMommy I have a question for you! Do you get your nails done/manicure? I recently got my done and it made my hands worse! I used to get them done all the time but I stopped when I had my son becuase I was worried I would scratch him. So this is the second time I have gotten them done since I had him. I don't remember if it was worse or not when I got them done the first time after him, which was for my wedding. Does getting a manicure/acrylic nails make it worse for you? I was actually doing a little better then I went and got my nails done and its worse now, this sucks! They didn't feel that much worse until I got a fill. I hate this so much!
|

replied August 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Greenb1023 I am glad to hear you are trying the vitamin/mineral supplement. You mentioned that the onset of this was after having your son. This may have a hormonal component to it. I itched like crazy during my last pregnancy and for a time after the birth of my son. Then, out of the blue, I started to get the itching back but I was not pregnant. I thought about it and came to the conclusion I must have some sort of hormonal imbalance. The doctor thought I was nuts. I found a supplement to help women achieve hormonal balance. It is called Midlife Ease by Jarrow Formulas. It took about a week but the itching went away completely. I continued to take the supplement for another 2 weeks and then stopped. The itching never returned. You may want to try this product and see if you get some relief from it. You can also try a supplement with trace minerals in it. Let me know if you try one of these and if it works. Hope one helps!
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2008
Experienced User
Yeh it was quit a few months after my son though, but I can't think of anything else why I'm like this now. Although I did get a boob job about 8 months after my son, so I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it. I really do think its due to a hormonal imbalance though! I had the itching like CRAZY to towards the end of my pregnancy, I couldn't sleep at night or anything, but mine went away as soon as I had my son so. But yeh I will have to try the Midlife and a different kind of trace mineral supplement. Thank you!
|

replied March 1st, 2009
I have this too!
WOW. I thought I was the only one in the world with this. I am 35 years old and have had this since a teen. I now have lotion everywhere, a bottle in the car, one in my purse, one in the bathroom, one at the desk. I must put it on immediately after my hands get wet, even if from just a splash of water. And it is not just cloth, it is anything that is paper-like, cloth-like. Though I am able to touch plastic or glass.

If my hands do not touch lotion I clench them until getting lotion on them. What is this? I had my son when I was 19, so I think I had this before having him, but could have been after. I have just been dealing with it so long and have adapted, I thought it was just me. What I would give to have one day without having to have to put lotion on.

And not only that, it has to be certain kinds of lotions or I do not get relief. Some act like a lubricant but do not absorb into the skin, so my hands will have that crazy feeling despite having lotion on until I get the right kind- whatever it is.

It looks like a long time since the last reply before mine. Has anyone figured out what this is?? Anyone find anything that helps aside from taking out stock in lotion companies?
|

replied March 19th, 2009
Cant touch cloth with wet hands
Hi my son also has this problem he is 8 years old and had this problem for about 2 years. He hates to have a bath or shower because he says he can not do anything for himself afterwards, he gets really frustrated and just clutches his hands together. He also says it effects him somtimes when his hands are dry he finds it difficult to write because of the friction as he rubs his hand on the paper when he writes. Has anyone found out anymore information as we would like to get to the bottom of this as it is effecting his work at school. He is a very bright boy but this is holding him back. Any help PLEASE .
|

replied September 18th, 2011
hello. My son who has tourette syndrome also has that same problem. he says he hands feel dry after he takes a shower and i cannot dry them with the towel he clenches them and his feet too. i have to apply tons of lotion afterwards. hence, i am going to request a ct scan of his brain and spine to see if there is something there. i will keep u informed.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
I'm with you all.
I've had this problem since I was pre-teen/early teens. I'm 21 now and I can't stand to touch paper, rough surfaces, cotton cloth...nothing. It's gotten worse recently. Today, it was to the point that I had a sticker lightly stuck on the back of my hand and it started to hurt. My fiancee can't touch my neck without sending that shiver down my spine. Same with someone else touching cloth. The sound/feeling has almost made me sick before. The only thing that I have found to help me was the lotion. I apply lotion at least 1 time every morning. If I don't have it with me when I wash my hands, I am miserable for the rest of the day. Lotion is my only go-to right now and I am with you all when I say please help because it's only getting worse.
|

replied April 14th, 2009
OH MY ...
Another person here from Melbourne, Australia!!!
SAME BLODDY THING... But it's not always just after washing my hands??? Or maybe I haven't noticed that.... I've had it for a long time, but now I get chills when I need to use a tissue.. Not to mention watching people play with dirt on tv. Mine affects my hands and feet.

I have been on pain killers and I presumed it was something to do with them???

1.\ Like the mineral deficiency idea.. I had the same thought...

2.\ I was just doing reading and it may well be a fungal infection believe it or not.. Does anyone here also blister easily around your nail beds, or close to??? I get that sometimes and it gets really itchy and then disappears within a day.

Anyhow, I was reading on fungal infections.. EG: Athletes foot/candida/jock itch and it also specifies that you can get them on your hands which symptoms can be dry hands...

Just some more ideas...

It's effected me so much, that once I wanted to do a trade, but there is no way I could with this dry skin syndrome... What me and a mate that also has it, calls it...

Wish us all luck!!!

We're not crazy!!!
|

replied April 14th, 2009
Another option...
Atopic eczema

* Causes the skin to feel dry; some areas become red and inflamed. Occurs next to skin creases -- front of the elbows and wrists, backs of knees, and around the neck. The face is a commonly affected in babies. The inflamed skin is itchy. If you scratch a lot it may cause patches of skin to become thickened. Sometimes the inflamed areas of skin become blistered and weepy or infected.
|