Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Can't poop for 5 days

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I had a standing job for many years and now I have a desk night job. From anywhere 7pm to about 5am I am working then sleep then again. I could not poop for like 3 days and then I did .. a lot not hard and I'd say more softer then usual and it happened for like 2 weeks. Now this is 5th day and I can't poop ..not that I want but can I simply don't want it's scaring me. Yesterday i poop just a little bit I mean like 5 6 inches of small diameter poop and that's it for 5 days .... Please heal I am very scared.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
ibs c sufferer
5 days are not so much, i spent 15 days no pooping at all, but i had high fat intake, because i went to many doctors, and culdn't find anything; i was finally cleared by a prep and became more normal ever since after that and am more normal after getting on diet and exercise)... blood tests which included glucose and lipid profile exams, colonscopy, endocrine and gyn test were all clear, i had chest ultrasounds and whatever test mentioned, i'm declared healthy and still in pain but at least i have less stress knowing that i am not sick, so i advice you to go a doc if your constipations persists more than a week or two, what is eaten should finally be expelled, if you eat a large meal, expect to have a good bm, if you eat small meals expect to have smaller bms, but weekly or daily there is no difference because everybody is different, however if there is no bm at all in a week, i would get worried, and schedule an appointment as this could be many things, (have you had your tsh levels checked?) , the worst case is a bowel obstruction, if this is suspected by the doctor a ct scan of the abdomin is the best test...good luck
|

replied October 19th, 2009
i too have this problem i sometimes go 2 weeks before i have a bow movement and when i go i have trouble going it's like hard pebble like poop drk brown should i go see a doc
|

replied October 19th, 2009
constipation due to high fat diet
i went on strict diet and exercise 20 mins everyday....i get regular bms, rarely i skip days, only if i h aden't eaten enough since i am eating just vegetables, and cereals. try diet, if it doesn't work then definately you need to see a gastrentologist and a gyn. i have been to both because i was scared that if i diet (as the gi doctor told me) i would still take time to go back to hospital and then it would be late, after several scans it is proved that it was my poor diet that was making me constipated.
|
Quick Reply