Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Can't move without pain

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
okay, i'm 18, male and in good health, the last 3 days i've been experiencing mild back pain below my ribs on my spine, but only when bending my back when bending over, so i've been trying hard to bend over with a straight back, so i don't get the pain.

anywho this morning as i was getting ready for work, i bent over to put my left shoe on, i bent over and all of a sudden my pack was in extreme pain, i had to make my way back to my bed where i now am, i'm unable to stand up or walk with out being in a huge (HUGE!!!) amount of pain, this happened to me about 18 months ago and i was stuck in bed for 3 days before i could get up and walk again, i also never saw a doctor about it as i was unable to move.

i need to know what to do, should i call an ambulance?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper littleonefb
|

replied December 14th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hi nkqk
i wouldnt call an ambulance unless you are having trouble with any excratory incontinence which can be a serious problem caused by pressure on spinal nerves. you may have a problem with one of your discs in the spinal column. or it might be a vertebrae that is slipping out of proper alignment. there are all kinds of things that it could be but the only way to really know is to get checked by a dr.
as for whom to see ....
the most knowledgeable drs regarding the spine are surgeons. dont worry most situations dont require surgery its just hat the surgeon really knows the spine and can prescribe the best studies in order to get proper diagnosis of the cause of pain. you may have to see your pc physician first in order to get referral to a spinal surgeon.
in general it is not good to stay in bed. it is best you try to walk a little bit to keep a little loose. dont sit for any long length of time as this puts more pressure on spine. and do not lift!!!
you could try taking shower to loosen up muscles.
i sure hope its nothing serious. keep us informed as you try to get your diagnosis.....pete
|

replied January 6th, 2010
I woke up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain in my lower back. Never had a problem before and now I can't get out of bed. I am new to the city I live in and don't have a doctor. I have no idea what to do or how this happened. I don't know if it is muscle spasms or trapped nerve, I have no bladder issues or pain in legs. Any help or ideas would be so much appreciated.
|

Extremely eHealthy
hi stephen
sorry youre having pain. and its unfortunate you dont have a physician. i would look for a walkin clinic to attend. we really dont know if its back or pain from some internal organ. many things can cause back pain. at least by going to clinic you will be seen quickly. hope its nothing serious....pete
|

Hi pete,
I would go to a walk-in clinic if I could actually stand to get out of bed. Certain muscles in my back jolt with extreme pain when I try to do certain movements. How could this have all happened while I slept?? I don't know what to do.
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Stephen,

You sound like you might need to either have someone you know help you get to a clinic or the emergency room, or call an ambulance to take you to the ER.

If you are in that extreme amount of pain, you need to be seen by a doctor as fast as you can get to one.

If you have no one that can help you get there,

My advise is to call 911 for an ambulance to take you to the ER right away.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Fran
|

Extremely eHealthy
hi again...
if its that bad you better call 911 and you will be carried into the er room. they will take good care of you. ...pete
|

It is somewhat relieved by pain killers, to the point where I can get out of bed but I can't stand for more than a few seconds. I am hoping that by tomorrow morning things will be improved. If not I guess I will just have to call an ambulance, seems a bit over the top for muscle spasms though. I wish this were not happening to me.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I think you are waiting too long to go.

Something is going on and it may or may not be muscle spasms.

Even if it is, being this incapacitated with pain with a little bit of improvement with pain killers, is a serious situation.

Taking pain killers, more than tylenol or advil, for something like this is not a good idea until you know what is wrong. It could do you more harm than good.

You should call for that ambulance now, not in the morning.

Fran
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
Back Problems!
Hey guys!
sorry this is a tad bit late, but i stumbled on this forum as i was looking for help with my back. for me i can walk around and do other things but my back will feel like its spazing out, when i get out of bed i also enduce in alot of pain which causes me to lay back down. what can i do?
-Jon
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2010
back seizure
Happened to me today, 1 hr ago. I hope that you are better!
I have a herniated disk since about 8 years ago, had MRI, etc. It's lower back, was advised to avoid surgery as i could do everything ok. Matter of fact, i felt better as time passed by and could do my yoga, etc, (with caution).
This morning i was washing the floor, bent over and suddenly...! Extreme lower back pain, seizure, was sweating, couldn't move. Managed to get on the bed where i am. MD advised some days rest. Hope it gets better...
All the best!
|

replied May 1st, 2011
Back pain! Help!
I felt my back starting to hurt like it does regularly, I went to rotate my back and walked outside where I almost collapsed with pain, and I couldn't move. This was about an hour ago and I can't move my back an just standing still causes me pain, and sitting down is also very bad. I can walk around very stiffly, but it hurts quite a bit. Not sure what to do? Tasha.
|

replied September 17th, 2012
This happened to me three years ago. Woke up after the best sleep . As I left. To work I felt my back starting to hurt then I was home within an hour. And couldn't. Move from the bed for 2 days and then after 3 days it was. Better on its own. 3 years. Later. It's. Happened again. 2 hours ago I was bending down and it was painful. J managed to. Make it to the bedroom and now can't move. Ill have to skip. Lunch and eat when my husband gets home... this stuff with my back worries. Me as my sister. Just hot diagnosed with Ms
|

replied November 18th, 2012
Me too!
Hope this helps someone as the above notes are as close to what I am feeling as I have read. Worst pain I have ever felt. Came on slow with a stiffness getting up in the morning for about a month. This week I flew a five hour flight and then rode my motorcycle on the rough toads of Costa Rica. OK dull aches and then dancing, I feel like I did not listen to my body and am paying the heavy price. I am stuck alone up hi in the junge three flights of steps up. 24 hours so far and could not stand. I am taking one more day and if no improvement It is Costa Rican ambulance. Listen to your body!
|

replied November 19th, 2012
Experienced User
you as for help from your family or call 911 to check you.
|

replied April 16th, 2013
Wow. The last reply is like a year old now. But I suppose I should listen to the advice, and get to a doctor soon lol. I was fine, no pain or anything, and then I bent down-well, bending down was fine, but when I tried standing up/straightening my back, I had a huge amount of pain and had to sit down. My mom had to help me get up into bed, where I still am. I can't even move or stand up Sad So thanks for posting this...I'm going to try and get my mom to take me in to see a doctor after she's done with work tomorrow (it's the middle of the night).
|

replied May 3rd, 2013
about 8 years ago I had a bad fall onto my tail bone. the pain I experienced was indescribable. a few years later while jogging i kept having lower back pain. one day i jumped into the car in a hurry and immediately knew I was in trouble. took me half an hour to get out of the car. over an hour to walk 10 feet. and an hour and a half to walk to my bed room. doctor came and said muscle spasm and gave me an injection. i should have taken jelly beans for all it did. i was bed bound. couldnt even go to bathroom. three days later there was two loud cracks in my back and instantly I was fully cured. this happened once afterwards. On a lot of occasions I do in my back from simple things like hoovering and even just sitting causes sciatica or pressure pain. My doctor says my xray shows Ddd. and for numerous years now i am waiting to see a neurologist. I am in constant pain to some degree. 9 out of 10 days i suffer sciatica. He also said as we get older most older people suffer daily back pain. I am 42 years old not 72. I no longer go walking let alone jog. I was a 28in waist now My weight is going up and up. I cant see an end to this. I have been to see an orthopedic surgeon about my knees and spoke to him about my back. his exact words were " you were sent here about your knees not your back ". I almost cried. I thought once I was his Patient I could discuss all with him but I was wrong. If you bring a dog to the vet the dog will be fully looked at. as a human being I would of hoped for equal treatment.
|