Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Can't focus

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
I am 16
I can't focus on school work, or anything in school
I need to get good grades, so I need to focus
I feel just generally angry about being in school
I feel like my mind is always racing/ processing thoughts, so I always seem to lose track of where the teacher is at
By the end of the school day I feel extremelly hyper and need to do something.
I am feeling lonely
I feel like the only time I can act normal is out of school, at night time.
What is wrong with me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2009
The answer would be... you're a teenager! As for the angry and the racing that you mentioned. Hormones would be the most likely culprit. It seems like you've realized that grades are actualy important and that's already alot better than many other people currently having problems in school. As for the energy you're speaking about it's also natural. I highly reccomend a sport if you aren't already in one. It's a place to spend it all and a good way to get your attention of something else while you take off some of the stress. Plus, if you're feeling lonely it's a good way to meet people. As for focus keep trying dicipline is the key. Keep off the stress the best way you can and try hard not to worry. And if you have problems, which approximatly 100.0% of teenagers do, find a friend and tell him or her what's on your mind. You'll feel better.
|

replied October 27th, 2009
Yeah my basketball season is starting soon, so hopefully things will straighten out.
|

replied November 19th, 2011
Caffeine may be good...but maybe not for everybody
I know how you feel, I am going through the same thing...in college. I know this may sound a little bit off the wall, but you might want to consider eliminating all caffeine from your diet. I used to be a "1 cup of green tea a day" (so, not much caffeine there to begin with) but after I switched from green tea to chamomile tea, I was able to focus & reason better. However, do not drink more than 3 cups of chamomile tea in a day...it has a laxative effect when you drink too much of it. But drinking one cup of it before or during studying might help you.
I got this idea from the book "Change your brain, change your life" from Dr. D. Amen, which is a book I would recommend to you.
|

replied August 30th, 2012
Experienced User
This ADD runs in my family. My father had it, but he just died. My elder brother dropped out of high school in 9th grade because everyone thought he was the dumbest kid on the planet. My son has it too and has been on vyvanse and adderall. I was sick lately and needed some ginger which I learned to love as a child, but this is the crystalized ginger (like candy and awfully hot). I too stared out the window, could never pay attention or anything in school, but when my mother introduced me to crystalized ginger, I became an A+ student. I have one year of college and married in 1975 and had to give back 2 full-ride scholarships. I am an A+ student because I learned to love crystalized ginger. Give it a try. Better than caffeine anyday!
|

replied September 18th, 2012
Experienced User
BE CAREFUL WITH VYVANSE:
I am on a blog with other mothers whose children have been on Vyvanse. I have even called my son's doctor about VYVANSE. Please get off that darn drug as soon as you can. You have no idea the damage it will do to your brain. One mother said her son has been on Vyvanse a number of years and he is totally schizophrenic and nothing, and I mean nothing helps to stop the voices he hears continually. I was telling my son about it (and my son was on it only on school days for 15 months) and he said that he hears voices too and thinks it is a good thing. I asked him what is so good about hearing voices. He said it makes him stop and think about what he is doing. There is going to be a big court case over this medicine in the future and I would urge all of you to keep track of how long you have been on this Vyvanse because it is not going to be a pretty sight when the litigation starts on this new-fangled drug. Sure like we want to be SCHIZOPHRENIC too. ADD is bad enough as it is. Try an older, more established drug. Never take something that is brand new for God's sake. Unless it has been out for many years, you can never truly know the side effects. Get off that darn Vyvanse before you hear voices as well. Yes I am ADD as well, my father was too, and my elder brother who were given nothing for their ADD and were able to make a way in life. Please throw out your Vyvanse before you start hearing voices too! I love crystalized ginger and it made an A student out of me, so go find something hot, whether you like ginger, hot peppers or curry and that will help your mind out better than any drug can!!~~!
|