Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Can't clear the throat properly

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
Since late last year I have been suffering from an inability to clear my throat properly. I produce what appears to me to be vast amounts of nasal mucus, which I have to keep on clearing down from my nose. I also always feel like I have something stuck in my throat which drives me mad. Very occasionally I can bring up a very small amount of a bead-like jelly substance from my throat. It affects me in so many ways. I find it difficult to get to sleep, so that affects my relationship with my partner, and we have to sleep apart so he can get some sleep. When I eventually get to sleep, I wake in the morning, with my throat full of sticky, off-white coloured gunk.I hsve tried nasal sprays, but they drive me loco, and I have had a nasal/throat camera examination. I am currently awaiting a barium swallow exam, as the ENT consultant seemed to think it might be coming from my stomach! Please help, I think I will top myself if this carries on much more.....

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A15352
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the inability to clear throat properly since last 8 years.
You might be suffering from rhinitis and post nasal drip symptoms. Post-nasal drip (PND) occurs when excessive mucus is produced by the sinuses. The excess mucus accumulates in the throat or back of the nose. It can be caused by rhinitis (allergic or non-allergic), sinusitis (acute or chronic), laryngopharyngeal acid reflux (with or without heartburn), or by a disorder of swallowing (such as an esophageal motility disorder). It is frequently caused by allergies, which may be seasonal or persistent through the year, depending on the allergen(s) involved. Mucus feeling in the back of the throat, congestion in the nasal and sinus passages, snorting to clear mucus from the sinuses that cannot otherwise be cleared by blowing one's nose and vomiting due to excessive mucus in stomach are the common complaints of the patient who suffers from the post nasal drip. As rhinitis and sinusitis seem to have been rule out in your case, the possibility of gastroesophageal reflux disease needs to be considered.
You must consult your doctor for the definitive diagnosis and treatment as the same cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.