Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Can't breathe through nose - rhinitus ?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I am a 23 year old girl and I've never been able to breathe through my nose for as long as I can remember.

My nose has always been either blocked or runny. I am very congested and always have a tissue on hand incase I sneeze or need to blow my nose (which is often.) Its like I have a permanent slight cold. The only time my nose clears up is when I have been doing exercise and then its only clear for about 10 minutes maximum and it "blocks" again.

My parents took me to doctors when I was younger and they didn't do any tests or even look in my nose they just said "rhinitis" and prescribed steroid nasal spray, but my parents (who are kind of alternative and hippyish) were worried about me having steroids at such a young age/getting hooked on them or something.
They also took me to alternative medicine people who told me I had a lot of allergies to dust, pollen and car fumes (!)
Anyway nothing was really done to help me, and I just kind of forgot about it, I'm so used to breathing through my mouth anyway.
But now I really want to do something about it. It's annoying and embarrassing that I always snore when I sleep, and its annoying always having to carry tissues with me.

I only get hayfever about once a year for about a week. And I seem to be able to go camping and stuff fine without getting too irritated by grass or whatever. My nose seems to stay at the same level of blocked whether I'm in the city (where I live) or if I'm on holiday in the country.

But whenever I'm around really dusty things(looking through old boxes etc) I can sometimes get a really severe attack where I will be sneezing uncontrollably for about an hour, and my chest will be tight and I'll wheeze and my eyes will itch and I will feel awful.

My nose also gets especially blocked or runny or I sneeze when there is a sudden change of temperature or if I'm somewhere really cold.

The main factors that make it worse are DUST and being somewhere cold. However it is always bad. Right this minute, it is not COMPLETELY blocked...I can get a certain amount of air in, however not enough to breathe properly. I have to always breathe through my mouth.

My dad has a problem with his nose too, he is very allergic to dust and pollen, always sneezing, BUT the main difference is although he has attacks, when he is NOT having attacks he CAN actually breathe though his nose. Whereas I can't. Ever.

I want to go to the doctor but I'm worried they will just prescribe me the nasal steroids. I dont actually mind taking them, I don't have the same ideals as my parents, however I have read that the steroids are not a permanent solution, they should only be used as a temporary. However I NEED something permanent. This is not the case of sometimes having attacks this is ALL THE TIME.
Which leads me to think maybe its something more than rhinitis?? Everywhere I look online people with rhinitis only seem to have it SOMETIMES not all the time?
Has anyone experienced anything like what I have? Anyone got any ideas on how I could be helped?? I would just really love to not snore and to be able to at least SOMETIMES breathe through my mouth.
To be honest I don't even mind occasionally having attacks I would just like to be able to breathe properly the rest of the time!
It would be amazing if anyone could help! sorry this is so long, just wanted to explain everything! Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2009
Experienced User
You should consider yourself lucky that you know the cause and no a way of feeling better. You can either move somewhere in the country or start taking all the steps that people who are allergic to dust are, whichever seems the least hassle in the long run. There is no cure as yet, you couldn't take any medication long term to cure it because it'd undoubtedly have negative side effects. Most importantly see an ENT, they'll give you a good idea of what is going on and probably give you an allergy test (which will at the very least confirm what you kind of already know - plus maybe list some other things you are allergic too).

You may well have to seriously change your life style you just need to ask yourself how much this problem is troubling you and whats it worth to you stop it. Anything which affects your breathing can seriously affect your overall quality of life so it might be worth biting the bullet and making some permanent choices for what is largely a permanent problem
|

replied January 11th, 2010
I can understand your frustration. I have a similiar problem. It drives me crazy. My nose gets clearer than other times but never quite clears up. Sometimes I really get stressed out because I just can't breathe through my nose. I have found that saline solutions irrigating the nose have helped to shrink whatever that is swollen in my nose and helps me breathe temporarily through my nose. I am sure I am allergic to some things, but even taking Claritin or Zyrtec doesn't totally resolve the issue.
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2010
Experienced User
No and mine never gets worse or better, it just stays bad :/ and I bet you also can smell to some extent still? I can't at all, only really obvious smells now. I went to an ENT and a CT scan showed I had swollen turbinates, then an allergy test showed I was allergic to dust mites. I'd advise doing the same, it might be work towards relief and at the very least will be some medical recognition that something is wrong.
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
I am going crazy with the same problem not air is getting to my brain specially at nigth funny felling in the top of my head. i dont know what to do? am allergy to dust mite,cats,bugs u name it. taken allegra and some times zyrtic or claritin. avery year is getting worse this new symtoms.
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
My daughter is 4 years old and i think she has a breathing problem threw her nostrils and she would stick out her tongue at the same time when she sniff,also seen drainage in her ears and watery eyes, since she was about 1 years old, she would wake me up middle of the night crying,and crying saying my nose hurts, and we've never seen a doctor because we live in remoted area (reserve). took her to a nursing station and saw a nurse, saying "i think it's just a habit" but kept telling the nurse, it's something more than that......that's why i'm writing this about on this Ears, Nose, and throat disorder page....plz what can i say to the nurses to trust me that my daughter has a problem???
|

replied October 19th, 2010
Nose sickness????
i dont know if my freind is going through the same thing!?? coz she cant breath through her nose and when i see her shes always breathing through her nose!?? do you think she has that sickness??????shes like 13 almost 14.
|

replied October 19th, 2010
Nose sickness????
i dont know if my freind is going through the same thing!?? coz she cant breath through her nose and when i see her shes always breathing through her nose!?? do you think she has that sickness??????shes like 13 almost 14.
|

replied February 13th, 2011
The real cause
I have the exact same problem and mine is caused because the lining in my nose is too thick, my mum took me to the doctors when I was about 4 and they said they could scrape the excess lining out but it wouldn't do much as I was still growing, I was supposed to go back when I was 12 but I was scared of operations so I didn't bother I'm now 24 and going to try and get back in as I'm suck of the blocked noses and recurrent chest/throat infections. I think it's something worth considering and asking your doctor about, it's very common I have two friends who had it and after the op they could both breathe fine, but I really want to sort this as I've read that mouth breathing can cause all sorts of problems as the air is not as oxygenated and not being filtered as much as it would be through your nose.
Hope this was helpful to you, all the best.
|

replied November 26th, 2011
I have the exact same problem. Everything you described was the same thing I'm experiencing. I'm 20, and I can't even remember the last time I was able to breathe through my nose. It's always clogged or runny, and I always breathe through my mouth. My boyfriend says that when I sleep, I'll stop breathing for a few seconds all together because of my nose, because it doesn't get any air. I HATE it. I've been looking into the surgery for it, that widens out your passages because I think, although I've never been diagnosed, that I have a deviated septum. I've never been hit in the nose or anything but I guess you can have it from birth. Because I always breathe through my mouth, I'm always coming down with throat problems. I wake up with a sore throat every morning, and I get strep and tonsilitis numerous times a year. But, what I'm getting at is that I'm looking into the surgery, so perhaps you should research it a little too?
|

replied September 15th, 2012
My problem too
I have the same problem. I thought it might have been because I was smoking but i gave that up and I still had trouble breathing properly through my nose. I gave up drinking so much milk and still didnt work. I can breathe through my nose but its not enough air going in so i have to breathe through my mouth.I find it hard to workout because I have to blow my nose all the time because its always sorta blocked. Cheers
|