Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Can Sinuses cause you to be constantly dizzy? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
About a year ago I started having a wide variety of symptoms. I have no idea what is causing them all I know it it's like constant torture day in and day out. I constantly have headaches, with post nasal drip, and I am always dizzy and its hard for my eyes to focus, also they hurt really bad all the time like they are going to pop(I just recently had them checked out and theres absolutely nothing wrong with them). Like if a car is moving very slow like rolling its hard for me to tell if its moving at all. This is a constant feeling 24/7. Also Extreme Tiredness so tired all the time. And the reason why I am posting something now is because today I went to work and I started to freak out because I couldn't catch my breath I thought I was going to die, that and I was wheezing really bad and I got really really lightheaded thought I was going to pass out. This happens a couple times a month. And please don't say anxiety or stress because I was fine until I started feeling suffocated. Also its constantly hard to breath through my nose, I always feel resistance like my airway is inflammed.

Can Sinuses cause all these problems? The thing is I don't have any real obvious symptoms of a sinus problem. I do sometimes feel that there is pressure around my eyes and bridge of nose but nothing real major. Anyways I visited the doctor and she thought that they did look inflammed so she gave me some steroids because she didn't think antibiotics would help. But I am on the last day of the prescription and I have notice no relief. What does this mean? If its not sinuses what could it be please help. I have had a lot of test done to find no relief. Im wondering if a ct scan would be worth it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Caswhi
|

replied April 10th, 2012
It all sounds like the typical symptoms of a sinus infection.
Doctors don't really like to give antibiotics, but in your case, I would push for them.
The pressure can affect your stomach, your middle ear, making you dizzy and your eye sight.
Have you tried products like sudafed?
A decongestant?
|

replied April 11th, 2012
Thanks for the reply,
Yes I have pretty much tried everything with no real sense of relief from the dizziness and other handful of symptoms. I just got done with a course of steroids plus been using zyrtec prescription which has seemed like the first couple of days it was helping me up but recently it doesn't seem like its been having much effect. "Sinus headache relief" pills helps for the headaches but I hate to take to many of them. Seems like I need to take a dosage every 4-6 hours to get rid of the headaches. Had an MRI to check for tumors and other abnormalities, but I followed up with a different doctor who believes that it would not show if there was a sinus problem because the test was not set for the right resolution or depth. So frustrating!
|

replied April 21st, 2012
Ct scan is the gold standard in diagnosing chronic sinusitus, also have you been seeing an ent or a gp? I d also push for antibiotics, new studies have found clarithromycin to be particularly effective in treating chronic sinusitus as it works as both a antibiotic and an anti inflamatory, depending on the ct results and you ent's opinion surgery may be considered too
|

replied April 21st, 2012
Thanks for all the replies I am currently in limbo on health insurance, and I know I can't afford to get a ct scan with out insurance. But when I do get setup I will defiantly push for the test. I feel that there is a good possibility that its from sinuses, considering that a lot of these problems started a couple years ago during spring when my allergies would have been flaring up which I think is probably what started it. I have not seen a ENT do to insurance and I was hoping when I get insurance that having a ct scan would tell me on whether I needed to see one or not. Also I have tried some antibiotics like amoxicillin for other problems in the past but have had no relief.
|

replied May 19th, 2012
i always feel the same way you do! right now, i feel like i can just sleep. i was sooooo dizzy for about a month- couldn't drive, work, cook or anything- just sat in my chair. mine led to depression and anxiety, which just made me feel much worse. i am feeling much better and am back to work- just still always tired. if you'd like to talk more one on one. i know it helps to know someone else feels the same way you do Smile if you see this post, just email me & ill respond. <3, Mimi
|

replied January 9th, 2014
hi I have mold in my sinuses shown in the CT scan. I have been dizzy for over a year now 14 months to be exact please any advice? will i be okay if i clear it out im using the neti pot antibiotics i did for a bit and nasal spray
|

replied May 20th, 2012
chronic sinusitis
hey..it seems we've got the same health problem..had been from an ent last few days, he gave me stugeron and claritin for 10 days..but guess it only worsens my dizziness and lightheadedness, coz it pushed me to sleep all day and night..he told me to have a ct scan or mri when those medications he gave me wouldn't improve..had few episodes of headache in a month coz of physiomer and nasonex sprays..guess you have to see an ent
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied August 9th, 2012
infetced sinus-dizzyness?
Hi,
I was on a public waiting list for a year and half with full infected sinus and 24-7 dizziness. The dizziness and tinitus started about a couple of months before I noticed the sinus infection. As others have also described,I also have pressure behind the eyes, ears and basicly the whole head and find it hard to concerntrate and live day to day.
I had it operated on 5 weeks ago and have had it continuously drained each week by the ent doc since and had the ongoing staf infection, pain and a week in hospital with still no luck.
i've been on constant antibiotics, steriods and pain killers since the op and my dizziness and pain is a lot worst since having everything cleaned out??
My ct's have apparently looked good after the op, but there is still inflammation and infectcion still there.
i'm now including in my nose washes a couple of drops of baby shampoo and bactraban cream to hopefully break down the bacteria somewhat. If things continue like this they will operate again and drill up behind the eye to where the bacteria can be tucked away and antibiotics and wash cant get it.
Apparently a couple of drops of baby shampoo in nose wash three times a day can break down the outer layer of the bacteria.
The ENT docs can't say if the dizziness is connected to the infection, but are holding off an mri until it the infection clears.
If I'm still dizzy etc when the infection is gone, they could be guessing minaires disease.
|

replied November 5th, 2012
Hello...I've been having dizzy spells for over a year now. Over the past 4-6 months I've started to feel pressure up in my sinuses, have plugged up ears, and have difficulty focusing on things. I've seen an ENT who found nothing, had sinus x-rays which didn't show anything, have used nasal sprays but still have dizziness. Aside from trying out an ayurvedic diet which strives to reduce inflammation in the body, I've also started seeing an accupuncturist and a vestibular physical therapist who is working on improving my balance. I've had a few days this past week of relief from the dizziness, so I will just continue with this program.
|

replied November 27th, 2012
Hi,
I began feeling dizziness about a year ago after a common cold. The ENT said that it was vestibular vertigo and gave me meclizine. The day after New Years, the dizziness came back ( I had been drinking and dancing alot so i thought it was because of that. This dizziness lasted way longer for about 2 weeks. since then, I've had dizzy spells and the latest lasting for more than a month. I have had MRI, ear tests, ENG done and they all came back normal. I do not know where this has come from...it's so frustrating. I've always had issues with allergies when the seasons change, but never like this. This dizziness started after the cold. I saw another ENT recently who prescribed me amoxicilin antibiotics and said that it was probably sinusitis and if it wasnt treated, it could last for a year.
Has anyone had this issue? Did it ever clear up?? Please help...Thank you Smile
|

replied October 17th, 2013
Lalainthecity I have these exact symptoms; mine also occurred after a night of drinking and dancing and so far has lasted about a week. Wondering if you were able to find out what is was? Thank you!
|

replied December 12th, 2014
I have had the same problem for two years now. I always got sinus infections in the fall and spring, the suddenly one year I got a severe vertigo attack. The attacks became more frequent and I lost my hearing in my right ear. It appears that I have several triggers. Barometric pressure, over excretion, salty foods, and stress all bring about a vertigo attack. I try my best not to allow these attacks to occur, but sinus pressure is now the main trigger for all my vertigo attacks. I take Sudafed frequently and it helps most of the time. I am concerned about the effect it may have on my body because I take it frequently. Today I feel another attack coming and I have taken a Sudafed an hour ago. I think that this is going to be one day that even Sudafed is not going to help me. This causes so much anxiety, because I know that sleeping of the attack is my only relief. I have gone to several doctors for a diagnosis and medication. I have also had many diagnostic test. The last doctor was an ENT and I was diagnosed with Meniere’s disease. There is no cure for Meniere’s. Doctors can only treat the symptoms. I too am looking for ways to cope with this disease.
|

replied November 18th, 2012
Sinus symptoms
I have had sinus surgery a few years ago and I too am suffering from these very symptoms right now. I have already taken a course of Augmentin 875 mg didn't do any good.
|

replied April 21st, 2013
Sinus issues.
I have been dealing with these same issues for the past four months. Im going to go see an ENT tomorrow. Ill post what he says. Its well.....good to see im not the only one dealing with this issue. I feel for all of you. This sucks.
|

replied April 21st, 2013
I too suffer from these exact symptoms. Every spring is miserable since moving to Minneapolis. I take claritin gel gaps and if I don't take one every day, I start getting a severe headache by 3pm every afternoon. If I don't take Advil Migraine, the pain becomes excruciating. I had asthma when I was younger (never really bad), always during allergy season. And from what I understand, the sharp chest pains I have are related to that too. (those are very rare and only occur when I am very congested) I know I should get an inhaler but don't want to. I do not have chest tightening at all. Again, it is only in the spring and sometimes for a shorter time in the fall (molds maybe). I get so dizzy that it is scary. It is hard to do my job (and I have three of them!). I did NAET energy treatments and the tree clearing was amazing, but didn't last more then a year. I am also going to try coconut oil (pulling). Probably won't work, but I have nothing to loose. Glad to know that there are others out there having a difficult time with their sinuses. I hope to move out West again. The drier climates are much better for me.
|

replied January 9th, 2014
I had a Ct scan done and shows mold in my sinuses and im praying to god it can be treated! have you imoroved at all? im trying the neti pot and a nasal spray! im so tired of being dizzy please help
|

replied April 21st, 2013
I too suffer from these exact symptoms. Every spring is miserable since moving to Minneapolis. I take claritin gel gaps and if I don't take one every day, I start getting a severe headache by 3pm every afternoon. If I don't take Advil Migraine, the pain becomes excruciating. I had asthma when I was younger (never really bad), always during allergy season. And from what I understand, the sharp chest pains I have are related to that too. (those are very rare and only occur when I am very congested) I know I should get an inhaler but don't want to. I do not have chest tightening at all. Again, it is only in the spring and sometimes for a shorter time in the fall (molds maybe). I get so dizzy that it is scary. It is hard to do my job (and I have three of them!). I did NAET energy treatments and the tree clearing was amazing, but didn't last more then a year. I am also going to try coconut oil (pulling). Probably won't work, but I have nothing to loose. Glad to know that there are others out there having a difficult time with their sinuses. I hope to move out West again. The drier climates are much better for me.
|

replied April 22nd, 2013
Went to the ENT. He looked in my sinuses and did a CT. Everything looked great. He did find a pocket of inflamed tissue a put me on 14 days of levaquin. He still has no idea what the issue could be. He is thinking everything is just very inflamed and swolen and is causing the dizzyness in the middle ear. I guess we will see if the levaquin does the trick.
|

replied April 23rd, 2013
Sounds strange but I think i have found the issue with all the symptoms in question on this forum. Please check out this site.

*link removed by Admin*

I started messing with the mussel in the back of my nesk and the dizzyness has gotten better. My sinuses have gotten better and my ears feel better. Im going to go see a chiropractor and have them work on my neck and see how things go.
|

replied June 17th, 2013
I have been suffering from dizziness, light-headedness and major anxiety spells for years, i also suffer sinus problems but never linked the two!!

It just didn't make sense that simple sinus problems could cause such anxiety issues for so many years but reading these posts makes me wonder??!

I used to be quite athletic but stopped all sport as i just can't cope. I'm left feeling breathless, light headed and anxious, can't even cope well in social situations like shopping centres,etc..

Affects my work, my relationships and every day living. I remember a time when i woke up looking forward to the day ahead, for too long now it's been a case of taking a deep breath and getting through the day!
|

replied June 22nd, 2013
hyperventilation syndrome
The OP may be hyperventilating which is why you feel "smothered" and out of breath -- if you can't breathe through your nose you're more likely to chest breathe and can't breath a full belly diaphragm breath so you could be hyperventilating and overbreathing. That will cause symptoms like dizziness, smothered sensations, chest pain, tingling. You are getting too much oxygen through shallow chest breathing. Put your hand on your chest and one on your lower belly and see when you breathe which area moves the most. If it's not your belly, you're a shallow breather. Mouth breathers tend to have hyperventilation syndrome (I have it, it's miserable. I have had chronic sinusitis for 15 years, had CT scans of my sinuses and sprays and vertigo etc. and I also hyperventilate and mouth breathe.) Check out hyperventilation syndrome (you can be overbreathing and not realize it.) It can create sensations of "breathlessness" even at rest and for no reason. (Read Dinah Bradley's book on this subject.)

I try my neti pot with limited results, flonase and other sprays, but my sinus infection feels like it's constant. Constant post nasal drip, congestion, clogging, a slight wheeze and irritating tickle cough that's been for months now (I had the flu in February and the doctor said i had a post viral infection -- hence the incessant cough so he gave me an inhaler.) Pressure in my face, behind my nose (sometimes feels like someone punched me in the nose), eyes, ears, around my head, down my neck sometimes. Migraines (sometimes with aura). Deviated septum. And anytime it rains I get pain or pressure even more. And the dizziness from the ears (popping, wet, itching, clicking, knocking etc.) and also the hyperventilating. if I take a deep breath I can get lightheaded. Also check if you're sighing, yawning, gulping air, or have air hunger as these are all part of hyperventilation syndrome as well.
|

replied June 22nd, 2013
The OP may be hyperventilating which is why you feel "smothered" and out of breath -- if you can't breathe through your nose you're more likely to chest breathe and can't breath a full belly diaphragm breath so you could be hyperventilating and overbreathing. That will cause symptoms like dizziness, smothered sensations, chest pain, tingling. You are getting too much oxygen through shallow chest breathing. Put your hand on your chest and one on your lower belly and see when you breathe which area moves the most. If it's not your belly, you're a shallow breather. Mouth breathers tend to have hyperventilation syndrome (I have it, it's miserable. I have had chronic sinusitis for 15 years, had CT scans of my sinuses and sprays and vertigo etc. and I also hyperventilate and mouth breathe.) Check out hyperventilation syndrome (you can be overbreathing and not realize it.) It can create sensations of "breathlessness" even at rest and for no reason. (Read Dinah Bradley's book on this subject.)

I try my neti pot with limited results, flonase and other sprays, but my sinus infection feels like it's constant. Constant post nasal drip, congestion, clogging, a slight wheeze and irritating tickle cough that's been for months now (I had the flu in February and the doctor said i had a post viral infection -- hence the incessant cough so he gave me an inhaler.) Pressure in my face, behind my nose (sometimes feels like someone punched me in the nose), eyes, ears, around my head, down my neck sometimes. Migraines (sometimes with aura). Deviated septum. And anytime it rains I get pain or pressure even more. And the dizziness from the ears (popping, wet, itching, clicking, knocking etc.) and also the hyperventilating. if I take a deep breath I can get lightheaded. Also check if you're sighing, yawning, gulping air, or have air hunger as these are all part of hyperventilation syndrome as well.
|

replied August 9th, 2013
I'm having the same exact symtoms as the first poster. I've been to the hospital numerous times and they have said im fine.It's been on going since January. I went to a neurologist and they don't know and neither does an ENT. I had an mri that showed nothing but a left mastoid air cell mucosal thickening. When I went back to the ENT he said my symtoms are most likely not caused by that.

I'm still 'floaty headed' and slightly unbalanced which gets worse as I'm more tired. When coming home from work I'm very off balance and need to go straight to sleep.

I'm only 18 and having this for months unable to enjoy life, workout, and be happy. Please help
|

replied August 10th, 2013
I too have been dealing with pressure, vertigo and panic attacks, only I have pressure deep dn in the right ear. I have to pull on my ear to get it to let up a bit and hurts all dn the area of the eustation tube.

Been going on for years getting worse lately. Havent driven in 2 weeks now. This really sucks and is seriously effecting my life.

Dont have any health ins right now. Two ER visits were told brohchitus and vestbular dysfunction.

Tired of being a hostage of my own body! Ughh
|