Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Can severe central spinal stenosis mimic MS symptoms?

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
User Profile
Like everyone else, my story is a long one so I will try to keep it short. My doctor's have been trying to find a root cause to all my symptoms. MRI of spine showed a 6th vertabrae, severe central spinal stenosis with epidural lipomatosis along with nerve root compression. Some of my symptoms have been getting progressively worse in the past 2 years & some symptoms seem to come & go in no certain pattern. Had a D.O. suggest that there is a high possibility that I have MS even though there are no lesions on the spine - she came to that conclusion because MS runs on both sides of my family with the closest relative being a first cousin. So now I am off to another neuro. Symptoms include but not limited to: migraines, vision changes, severe lower back pain that radiates thru rest of body, joint & muscle pain (avg 8.5 out of 10), muscle weakness, tingling/numbness in extremeties, facial tingling/numbness, muted sensations, an unexplained lacy webbed like pattern on my lower back, painful lumps in lower back, fatigue/insomnia, arms/legs feel heavy, difficulty walking ... just to name a few. Latest rounds of blood work showed SED rate normal, ANA is normal, B12 normal, etc. So my question is, can the central spinal stenosis mimic MS? Can you have MS with no lesions & normal blood work? Thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|