Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Can panic attacks kill you?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
i read on weekly news on the web that it can cause i lot of stuff that aint normal like heart rate and something else ever heard of somebody died from one???
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ashleyblazek
|

replied August 6th, 2008
No, they can't kill you.
When you have a panic attack you can be absoluely terrified and believe that something terrible is going to happen to you, however, they are not dangerous at all. A panic attack is just your body's way of trying to protect you from what it percieves to be a harmful situation - even if that situation is not harmful, i.e. crowded place, train, plane, etc. When you have a panic attack your body goes into fight of flight mode, which means that it is preparing your body to protect you from a harmful event, this means that blood is directed away from your organs and sent to yours muscles so that you can run or fight more efficiently - this can be why you feel sick, light headed or 'off balance', your heart rate also increases (again to prepare you for fight or flight) and you get an adrenaline rush which can cause you to feel shakey or achey - this is why it is important to exercise reguarly if you suffer from anxiety. Another reason exercise is important is that it makes you feel happy! None of these occurances are the least bit dangerous, just unpleasant. I find that knowing the reasons behind the symptoms that you experience during a panic attack is helpful in rationalising them and feeling safer.
|

replied August 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I think this is a question you need to address with you doctor, for proper information.
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2008
Experienced User
that is scary to think about tho. but i guess if you were having them alot whithin 6 months it would be better to go to a doc for a check up again.
|

replied August 17th, 2008
Panic attack can not kill you as far as I have heard about, this is an emotional disorder that can be solve by a doctor with some therapies, you should visit a psicologist and that the best solution for that what you have could be another illness, but anyway a panic attack can not kill you.

Arlette

|

replied March 11th, 2010
no
i just had my first one, thinking it could kill me, i went to the e.r. the doctor said the same thing the first person said, your body goes into fight or flight mode, and it is protecting you, i know it doesn't feel this way, and i even have a hard time believing it sometimes, but it makes sense
|
Users who thank ashleyblazek for this post: jarrad 

replied April 6th, 2010
no they cant kill u
i have panic attacks all the time and if it killed i wouldnt be here
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2010
you''ll live, trust me
I had several reoccuring full blown HOLY !**@! I''M F''ING DYING panic attacks several days in a row and I didn''t sleep much if at all because I was too stressed out and panicing too often. I DID NOT DIE. I basically counted my heart rate constantly to monitor it for two years straight. I couldn''t even masturbate sometimes because I was worried I''d get too excited and my heart rate would be high enough to freak me out and have a panic attack. For a while I couldn''t even drive. !!!I AM STILL ALIVE!!! So 6 years of my life with some form panic/anxiety disorder and a heck of a lot of paranoia about stuff like, ''Is my neighbor smoking meth and the fumes getting to me?'', ''What if my elevator gets stuck and I''m trapped in here having a panic attack and no one can talk to me and help me feel better?'', or ''I had so many bad panic attacks today the next one is sure to kill me, oh God, here it comes again!'' We''ll I''m better now, and still alive. =) After talking to sickyactrics and e.r. doctors on numerous nevously broke down occasions I finally realized I wasn''t going to die from it. I''m as healthy as a horse. Yep, I just played World of Warcraft all day. Sometimes almost had to quit mid battle against raid bosses because I was afraid I''d panic out, sometimes I did. Well anyway, point is I been through the panic thing the roughest way it can be and I''m still alive. So if you have a bad time of it and you want to talk to someone who understands write me.
|
Users who thank Sebastien9756 for this post: justme96  Mommy0206  Angelag27 

replied July 24th, 2012
Pannic attacks
How did you overcome your pannic attacks?i have also Been having attacks for the past 6 years,it's making me feel really down an depressed,I hardly ever leave the house because of it.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
Whoever wrote the post "you'll live, trust me"i think his user name is SEBASTIEN9756, can you PM me please. I'm a rough spot in my life and I think you really could help me b/c i can relate a lot to your story. thank you.
|

replied November 17th, 2011
hi RICHARD PROUDFOOT HERE, ive suffered with panic ATTACKS FOR YRS ON AND OF MAINLY IN REACUURING SITIONS WHICH I TRYED TO AVOID MOST TIMES SOMETIMES UNSUCESSFULLY LOL BUT NO LAUGHING MATER AT THER TIME, I HAD A ROUGH START TO THIS YR AND DEVELOPED A ANIEXTY DISORDER, MAN IT FELT LIKE MY LIFE WOZ CRUMBLING AROUND ME AT 28, WELL IM STILL ON THE ROAD TO RECOVERY IVE ABUSED A FEW BENZOS TO MY OWN REGRET BUT NOW IM ON THE RITE TRACK IM DOING TEQNIGUES DAILY WITH A AUDIO CD I GOT TO SAY THEY DO MAKE A HUGE DIFFRENCE ALONG WITH MEDICATION AND HELP FROM A THERPIST, I FEEL SO MUCH MORE IN CONTROL, MY ADVICE WUD BE TO ANYONE LIVING WITH ANIEXTY SEEK HELP AND HELP URSELFS OTHERWISE IT WILL RULE UR LIFE IVE LOST THIS YR TO IT I DONT WANT ANYMORE EDGUCATE URSELF ON IT IT HELPS A LOT I WISH ID DONE THIS YRS AGO, PEACE AND HEALTHY LIVING ALL
|

replied December 21st, 2012
Anxiety
I am 24 years old I am fit and I get anxiety all the time,I've had several collapses from this condition that I would not wish on my worst enemy,and I have thought in several instances that this is it,I was so week and in pain,and in my head trying to control and not freak out I've been battling this for several years and am trying to avoid the pill popping way. but am at my wits end,when you feel like your going to die until you pass out in severe pain so many times you can't count it really changes your personality and how you live your life everyday,this is something that has effected me severely,sometimes I'm fine for a span of time, then no warning I'm crippled,and it is very painful,I hope everyone in this forum finds relief as do I..good luck
|

replied April 14th, 2013
No I'm pretty sure it can't kill you.

I'm 18 years old and I just started having anxiety problems and I kind of have a mix between the types of disorders. GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) describes my problems the most but I do get the occasional, and very frightening panic episodes and attacks. If you google it everybody says pretty much the same stuff. Feeling like your going to die, have a heart attack, and I even freaked out so badly once I thought I was going to have a seizure and start choking on my tongue (I know, pretty weird). I know it probably didn't cause it, but I smoked marijuana one night, and about 15-20 minutes later, I went crazy. On a lot of Internet sources it says panic attacks last like 10-15 to reach it max intensity, but for me on that night it lasted like full-blown panic for 90 minutes. Worst moment in the history of my 18 year old life! I was going so insane I started shaking uncontrollably and thinking irrational thoughts that couldn't happen, while just the thought of impending doom filled my cranium. Anyway, I hadn't had any anxiety issues before that moment after smoking some Mary Jane, but ever since I have hit all the symptoms of GAD, and with panic attacks. So far I have had 3 panic attacks I could distinctly remember, and obviously they didn't kill me. However, the effects of panic attacks are like always rapid heart rate, so maybe for an old person it can actually give you a heart attack but I have no clue. To be honest I'm just happy there's people out there that have experienced these horrific events like me, glad I'm not alone.

Oh and if you suffer from panic/anxiety, don't drink or smoke weed, I found out that's like gasoline, and your anxiety is the fire. MAKES IT WORSE!!
#TeamJesus
|

replied May 18th, 2013
Bipolar 2 and Panic/Anxiety Attacks.
I suffer from bipolar 2, take a lot of prescribed medications, and have panic and anxiety attacks everyday. I want to find relief and even go into the hospital but my 18 year old lives with me and I don't want him to be alone and scared. All three of my kid's know I have all of these mental illness and they worry. Two of my children don't live with me no more, they are 26 and 21. I am terrified of fear. To the point that it causes rapid heartbeats, sweat and mental anguish. I am so scared that one of my kids will be killed in some accident. I constantly think about it 24/7. I even pray that God will give my brain a rest and my body to rest. I am so tired and so discouraged. I am even drinking too much red wine, which calms me down but that is not the solution. I do breathing exercises, but they don't work. I can't go on like this. Its literally killing me. I am mentally and physically exhausted. Someone please give me some kind of advice and for those who Believe, pray for me! Thank you!
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2013
Experienced User
No they will not kill you - try the program Attacking anxiety and Depression its an 18 week program with workbooks and CDs I haven't had to be on meds since I finished the program. Google it
|