Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Can not wake up !

I CAN'T WAKE UP Sad
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 Just Now Rating Not Rated
I need some advice... I am literally unable to wake myself up in the morning. My
parents always had to FIGHT to wake me up and now my poor fiance' is the poor
soul that has that unwanted task... Between not being able to wake up and ALWAYS
ALWAYS being soooo tired, I'm just fed up... This is going to eventually result
in losing my little lady and/or my job... I have tried megaphones, loud
speakers, vibrating pillow alarms, people hitting me but NOTHING... I barely as
much as flinch... This is getting sooooo sad... NOTHING wakes me up... I have
been to a neurologist in the past with little help from him... I went to a sleep
doctor for the first time when I was 17 and his diagnosis was that I was just
overweight... (I was 5' 7" and 220lbs.) I went back some time later, now
weighing 165lbs and he just couldn't figure out what my problem was... He called
it Idiopathic Hypersomnia. I was given Provigil and that was just not the
answer... It worked for about 2 days but after that I was losing my vision, not
breathing well, hearing things and worst of all, NOT WAKING UP!! ANNOYING! I
went to another sleep doctor and took another sleep study... I was "diagnosed"
with Narcolepsy. I have been on everything now from Provigil, (again) Addoral
and Dexedrine, (Including "quick release tablets.) They all have little effect
on me... (unless you're talking side effects...) Now here I am, 4 years from my
first sleep study and I havent found any relief... Does have any advice?? If not
on the treatment of my problem, maybe advice on waking myself up??? I sincerely
appreciate your time in reading this and hope there is someone out there with
some good advice that will help! Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tony5573
|

replied April 18th, 2009
you are not alone
Tony,
I can't be as helpful as I'd like to be as I am on this site looking for the same answers. My 17 year old son has been having the same problem for a few years now. I have tried everything to wake him in a humane way. When he was small enough I could wake him by standing him up, he is bigger than me now. Tickling him gets a response but takes too long for him to be in consious control of his movements and he was hurting both of us. Our smoke detector set on the pillow beside him didn't even elicit a flinch. (a little scary that) After some very unpleasant mornings we discussed it and the solution we came up with was cutting off his breath. I know it sounds barbaric. I hold closed his nose and mouth for about 30 seconds and he wakes up. He is not panicked or upset by this, and gets up a few minites later. I don't know if this is any help to you. Hopefully we both get some answers soon. My son wants to leave town for the summer and get a job. I fear he will be in the same boat as you, I seem to be the only person who believes he isn't faking, or that if he wanted to he could just sleep more lightly.
Take care and all the best!
|

replied March 9th, 2011
sleepness
all right first of all never treat your bed as a couch sofa or any type of chair that way your body doesnt have to get used to the bed. the other thing is sleep on time or a little earlier, if u cant fall asleep take some sleeping pills or u can wake up an hour earlier with the alarm beeping through the night
|

replied March 15th, 2011
I'd say you should consider alternative medicine for it is obvious that traditional ways have failed. Also, using brutal methods to wake yourself up will only worsen the situation, for the habit will keep overcoming bigger and bigger obstacle, which will result in only strenghtening the habit/problem of not being able to wake up. If I were you, I would search for alternative treatments (acupuncture, EFT, TAT, etc.) in your area and seek a real professional rather thant try to do everything on my own.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
What I did
What I did?

Hey there Tony, I have been facing this problem since I was 15. I suffered a lot due to this at work. Now I am 31 and till a year back I had this problem. What I did to control this was and is:

1- I observed sleeping patterns
Whatever my social schedule or business is, I would reach home before 11pm and go to bed at 12pm. I trained myself for six months

2- I trained my self psychologically by literally telling myself, "Sohaib, wake me up at 7am" ( A religious practice" Did it for six months and still do it on and off)

3- I told everybody to not wake me up, and trained myself to be not dependent. For a week I woke up late, then it reduced.

In a years time, I have moved out of my country and I don't have a problem with waking up. I am still not able to counter the morning tiredness. For this I have read that we need aid of a bed side coffee or orange juice.
Hope it helps
|

replied February 14th, 2012
Hypothyroidism
I had this problem when I was hypothyroid. I would think I was waking up, but I was still dreaming and still in bed. I was taking a prescription that had a side effect of mutating T3 (a thyroid hormone) so it would not work with the thyroid receptors. Thyroid tests came back low, but not low enough to be considered "hypothyroidism." That was because the hormone was there, it was just mutated. Watch out if you are taking any kind of hormone that could be effecting your endocrine system.

THis is an old thread- but just in case anyone else is looking for answers . . .
|

replied April 25th, 2012
I think its due to what we do at night.
Certainly remembrance of God helps.
some guys masturbate and that a negetive effect too.
|