Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Can i still take fluconazole 150 mg if I'm not sure?

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
User Profile
Can i still take fluconazole 150 mg if I'm not sure if i still have a yeast infection? Ive taken it before. Will there be any side effects if i do take it and i don't have an infection. I have vaginal odor and itching occasionally but not always.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2012
Yeast Infection Answer A38062
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Altered vaginal discharge odor or presence of itching can be suggestive of infection. Vaginal dryness can also cause vaginal itching. Avoid self medication if you do not know the underlying cause. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for examination and vaginal swab/smear test (done on the discharge) to identify the causative agent. Get started on treatment as appropriate (based on examination and investigations results) to help you control the symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Avoid sweat accumulation in the area. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, it is important to get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.