Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Can I run with a hip replacement

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I'm a 50 year old male and had my right hip replacement (BHR) operation 3 years ago.
The metal used was Cobalt, I did some running before the operation, a couple of miles each week on the treadmill and have recently started again, along with some resistance traning nothing to heavy. Could anyone tell me,am I doing wrong? should I stick to the cross trainer to save wear on my new hip?
I feel better since starting the gym again and do feel some discomfort but not really pain the day after a run.
But this seems to be getting less and less.
I just worry long term it may not be good for my hip.

Steve
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi Steve: I am not a doctor, but have lived with my husband through two knee replacements and a hip...Add to this my son also had his hip replaced...IMO, the surgery is wonderful, however, you cannot replace the real thing...To me, the discomfort is telling you something... I would stick with the cross trainer...Take care...

Caroline
|
Users who thank CarolineEF for this post: stewhilt 

replied June 27th, 2010
Thanks for the advice Caroline. I have done some research and think I will change my gym session routine to fast walking and cross trainer.

Steve
|