Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Can I ignore spleen pain?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
the pain is lower left side below ribcage. Have had it for some time and managed with the pain. Yesterday it changed to where the pain had me in bed. I am sure I can feel a mass. I have a chronic fear of being touched due to past events.I have asked for an MRI Scan but my Doctor just want to touch and feel and that cannot happen, so what will happen if I just cope with this pain? to give you an idea of the pain out of 10, 10 being severe I would say yesterday 7 today 6.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 4th, 2009
Sorry the Dr's are out for lunch
Oh dear was the Question to hard for the Doctors to even bother with a response?A person could lay dying waiting for an answer!
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2009
Supporter
Your spleen is an organ above your stomach and under your ribs on your left side and helps control the amount of blood in your body. If it's enlarged ... and bursts, you could potentially die from blood loss.

Certain diseases might cause your spleen to swell. You need a diagnosis, so yes...it's an emergency. Go see a doc.

P.S. Doctors only answer if you click on the "ask a Doctor" button to the right of the screen.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2009
Hi rooted
Thanks For Answering. Went to Doctor, she was not to worried Have had blood tests done. As every so often I have to have Transfusions as My HB goes really low, so low in fact that I needed 7 Units of Blood. Now I tend to get 2/4. Pain still here.Would this if it is Spleen, cause me to have a distended tummy do you know?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2009
Supporter
No worries. Glad to help.

The spleen is about as big as your fist. How large is your distended tummy? Where does it begin and end?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2009
rooted
about a fist and a half. above belly button. I look pregnant, which I am not. I do have a hernia have had it for years just rang Dr my HB is 9.8 which is high for me. after my transfusion is was 11.
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2009
Supporter
IF you still feel there is something going on, I encourage you to seek another diagnosis or a second opinion. I'm not a professional, so I can't really help you much more. Do you know which steps to take next?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
rooted
Nah, pain is still the same just getting use to it now. It seems to be a constant pain about 6 of out 10. Along with bouts of feeling sick. And sore you aske where it started well the pain in my left side runs frombelow last rib if you ran your finger under the rib cage from the side to the point where the ribcage turns upwards then thats where I hurts. hope this makes sense.wish I could say I was lossing weight but no such luck
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2009
Supporter
I think you're right to insist on an MRI. At least it will give you peace of mind!
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2009
rooted
no luck with trying to get an MRI scan, Instead she wanted to give me ponstan tablets.Giving up! Have decided my Spleen pain is due to my aneamia, as I am very aneamic. thanks for your time anyway hun.
|

replied August 29th, 2009
splenomegaly (enlargment of the sleen) can be due to certain types of anaemia (in partcular haemolytic anaemia, which is caused by reduction or breakdown of RBCs.
|

replied August 31st, 2009
Your belly should not be distended as much as it is and anemia should not cause you pain. Switch docs ASAP and insist on a CT scan or ultrasound. It drives me nuts when docs dont listen to their patients. You know yourself better than anyone. Trust your instincts. Look into seeing a hematologist. Best of luck my friend
|