Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

can I hiatal hernia affect my pregnancy?

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
User Profile
How can I hiatal hernia affect my pregnancy? I'm only about a month along, and I'm having stomach pains like I do when my hernia acts up. The pain is pretty unbearable and I am still taking my omeprazole. Is there anything else I can do to relieve the pain other than my current hernia treatments?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2011
(online)
Hernia Answer A18798
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

Hiatal Hernia develops due to conditions resulting in raised intra-abdominal pressure from coughing, straining during bowel movements, pregnancy and delivery, or substantial weight gain. Symptoms during pregnancy worsen in the last trimester, and tend to clear up after delivery due to diminution in size of the hernia.

Symptoms due to hiatal hernia including nausea, vomiting, burning pain or discomfort arise due to GERD. The symptoms worsen in the recumbent position and can improve in the sitting position.

Adequate antacids (Tums, Mylanta, prevacid) and Omeprazole (Acid reducing medication) can help relieve the symptoms provided the required dosage is taken properly. Usually patients take a lower dosage and become desperate due to persisting symptoms. In addition maintaining adequate hydration and adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.

You might consider consulting your general physician or a gastroenterologist who after a physical examination may determine to prescribe you newer acid reducing medications which may resolve your symptoms.

As a matter of fact, hiatal hernia, will in no manner affect the pregnancy.

I hope you find this helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.