Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Can I have both Fibromyalgia and MS?

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia three years ago and have been experiencing new symptoms. These include: Abnormal sensations, such as tingling and hot/burning feeling particularly in my legs; balance issues (I almost fell over getting into the tub to shower)and muscle spasms where my entire foot will jerk. This has happened at least twice in the car causing me to jerk forward. Is it possible that I would have MS along with fibromyalgia?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2012
Fibromyalgia and MS
YES. You could have both..I do. Is it likely. Probably not. Several years ago, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Three years ago, I had a bout of Optic Neuritis, an MRI was done, and it was determined that I ALSO have MS. I have pain in all tender points, and I also have many other idiopathic symptoms that are directly related to the MS (Urinary hesitancy, balance issues, remitting cognitive issues, etc...) . The migraines and tension headaches I get seem to center around flare ups from my MS; however, they could easily be linked to the Fibromyalgia.

Fatigue is a common symptom in both. Weakness too. Some cognitive issues. Is one compounded by the other? Possibly. But there are very specific treatments for MS that can help with many of these symptoms.

If you think it is a possibility that you do have MS, tests need to be done to make that diagnosis or rule it out (MRI, spinal tap, etc...). All of this said, the most important thing you can do with either of these illnesses is to maintain a positive attitude. Stay strong!

Take Care, Audrey
|
Did you find this post helpful?