Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Can I get HIV sucking on nipple?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Hi Dr. I am very worried. We recently went to a strip club and a friend bought me a dance. So, I sucked on the stripper's nipple and tasted something very salty...I am worried that I could pickup HIV like this...I did have a small sore in my mucous membrane but it was 90 %healed over.
Can I get HIV like this? what are my chances?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A12703
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned if you could pick up HIV from sucking on stripper's nipple with a small sore in your mucous membrane though it was 90% healed at the time of exposure.
The most common reason for nipple discharge if not pregnant, is due to fondling or sucking of the breasts as well as irritation from clothing while being active. Drugs and hormone supplements are known to produce nipple discharge spontaneously and pituitary tumors can produce a milky nipple discharge. And if person is HIV positive, breast fluid is known to contain the virus. There is theoretical chance of being infected with HIV in your case if the virus reaches the bloodstream from your mouth sore when the breast fluid comes in contact with oral mucosa. But the actual chance is very little but the only definitive way to find out is HIV testing. The standard antibody test for HIV can be taken at 3 months because that is usually the time taken by the human body to form antibodies against the HIV. Fourth generation tests can detect the infection earlier though they are not routinely offered.
You can consult your physician for further help and diagnosis as the same cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.