Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Can gallbladder disease cause foul...

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I have been having right rib and sternum pain off and on for 6 months with nausea, vomiting, flushing in the face, palpitations, arm/leg pain, gas, belching, painful heartburn, back pain between the shoulders, and lower back pain. But what's unusual is I have been having episodes of foul smelling/frequent/orangsh urine. I was tested for UTI but was negative and had a CT scan of my kidney showing no stones or inflammation. So my doctor thinks it's either gastroparesis or my gallbladder. Does this sound possible?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jallen107
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2010
Hi,
Welcome to the forum and I am really glad to help you out. Firstly, a Gastrointestinal cause needs to be looked into like an acute inflammation of the gall bladder or acute pancreatitis by doing an ultrasound abdomen or a CT upper abdomen & serum amylase and lipase levels.

Another important possiblity which needs to be ruled out is acute intermittent porphyria.

Acute intermittent porphyria is due to a deficiency of the enzyme porphobilinogen deaminase (also known as hydroxymethylbilane synthase) that leads to accumulation of the heme precursors delta-aminolevulinic acid and porphobilinogen initially in the liver.

Laboratory tests done on samples of urine taken during an attack show increased levels of two heme precursors (delta-aminolevulinic acid and porphobilinogen). Levels of these precursors are very high during attacks and remain high in people who have repeated attacks.

The precursors can form porphyrins, which are reddish. These porphyrins turn the urine red to red-brown. The color is especially evident after the urine specimen is exposed to light.

Please consult a physician for the confirmtion of diagnosis. I sincerely hope it helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.