Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Can feel pulse in head

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
Hello,

I've been struggling with unusual symptom in my head for over 2 years. I can feel my pulse constantly in my head, I do not hear it, I feel it.

I have undergone many medical tests over these couple of years all of which have been clear including a CT and MRI scan, bloodwork, and neurological tests.

I've recently been back to my GP and he's done another blood test, which was clear.

I am concerned about carotid artery stenosis at the moment, my blood pressure can sometimes be elevated and I'm sure I can hear a bruit in my neck. When I asked the doctor to listen to my neck with a stethoscope he said "what do you want me to listen for". I thought it was quite obvious. When I asked him about any blockages, he laughed and mocked me and explained that headaches would have a very simple cause at my age.

I don't really have any other symptoms, I am a happy and settled 18 year old and otherwise fit and healthy. I try to forget about this but it is very hard. Thanks for your time

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2009
Headache and Migraines Answer A5970

Sometimes the artery in the inner ear is twisted in such way that “the pulse might be heard”. You might be mistaking the bruit in the neck with this condition. This is not a serious condition. Since the problem is anatomical, there is not much that can be done. You might want to try some relaxation techniques in order to learn to live with it without giving too much attention.
If a Carotid artery stenosis exists, then a Doppler ultrasound might easily reveal or rule it out.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.