Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Can becoming sexually active change your menstrual cycle?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Did your menstrual cycle change after losing your virginity?
Yes. I was pretty nervous about it.
Yes. I wasn't very alarmed about it though.
No. Everything was pretty much normal
66%  66%  [ 2 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3
I am a teenage girl. Last month I lost my virginity. About 2 weeks later my period came, but it was late and longer than usual(like almost a week longer). Plus it wasn't as heavy as normal. When we had sex the first time we used protection, but it was toward the end.

We had sex again, about a week before my next period was supposed to come. This time we used protection the whole time. Now my period is later than the one before, about 10 days late.

A friend of mine told me that after she lost her virginity her period skipped a whole month. I've also heard that stress can stall your period and cause it to come later. I'm just scared I might be an exception and I might be pregnant. So does anyone know if losing your virginity cause your cycle to change?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kristigraham
|
Users who thank MsOverdramatic for this post: KatieCheers 

replied July 28th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hi, lots of things can and do influence your cycle and stress will as will just moving in with another female

something u said; "When we had sex the first time we used protection, but it was toward the end."
since THIS IS when u would have gotten impregnated; what did u mean by the above?

now as to chances of pregnancy= low BECAUSE u had your period (unless it was implantation bleeding) BUT CHANCES r even lower because that should have only been few days not YOUR NORMAL PERIOD TIME PLUS almost a week more

if u don't want pregnancy now, birth control would be a lot less stress

hope I did not confuse u , good luck
|

replied July 31st, 2011
Hello,
When i stated: "When we had sex the first time we used protection, but it was toward the end." I was stating that during intercourse we didn't use protection about halfway through, but before we finished he put on a condom. This is mainly the only reason I am worried

Also, my period seemed pretty normal towards the beginning, because a few days before it started there was a brown discharge, (which i have been told is "old blood")and this has happened to me a couple times before.
May you also explain implantation bleeding?
|

replied July 31st, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
implantation bleeding is when the egg takes hold in the uterus
pulling out method and waiting till half way thru to put on condom has a failure 10x that of birth control

u r probably not pregnant but that assumes your period is around 29 days and u DID NOT have sex 2 weeks prior to expected period

u could be pregnant of course and the tests u buy in the store may not work well till about 25 days, or perhaps a dr one or EPT I don't know when it claims to work . . . but the sooner u know if u r the sooner u can decide what to do.
good luck and best wishes to u
|

replied July 31st, 2011
Community Volunteer
Implantation bleeding is a very light bleeding caused by the egg puncturing the uterus lining to implant. It happens about 8 to 11 days after ovulation. It is more often spotting and not bleeding. There is no way to confuse this with a period. It is much lighter and shorter. It is most frequently pinkish or brownish.
|

replied November 23rd, 2012
Okay. Well I'm a teenage girl and I had sex exactly 19 days ago. My period came on the 23rd last month. And came today, on the 23rd this time. But its very light. My periods aren't usually heavy but they've never been this light. I've been stressing this way to much. I've only had sex 4 times and the first 3 times was quite slow and soft. But the recent sex I had (19 days ago) was very rough and hard. We used protection. But I'm just worried that I might be pregnant because of all these things I've been reading about "implantation bleeding" However, Ive also read that my period might be light because of stress. And I have been stressing this a lot. So I'm kind of confused.
|

replied November 24th, 2012
Community Volunteer
You used protection. Stop worrying.
|

replied July 28th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Take a pregnancy test and find out.

Stress and worry is like poison to your body and cycle. It can delay your period and even make it go away.

Although there are no research to show that your cycle change after becoming sexually active, many girls report a changed cycle.
|

replied February 6th, 2013
Help? Pregnant?
I am 15 years old & had my last normal period on dec 13th, 2012. The day before I was supposed to have my next period, which was on January 10th I had a very light period, for only a day. I haven't gotten my period this month yet .. Anybody know why?
|

replied June 28th, 2013
missing period
I lost my virginity about 1 month n a half.. we had use protectuon ALL the time I was supposed to get my period the 23 and today is the 28 and I haven't got it yet.. helppppp! I don't want to be pregnant
|