Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Can ARS symptoms start hours after possible exposure

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I'm going to get tested today 4-weeks after possible exposure but just wnated to get some insight before I head out to my doctor's.

Is it possible or has it ever been documented where a person experienced ars symptoms hours after possible exposure?
My exposure was unprotected sex (7-10mins)
*10 hours later - Abdominal inflammation
*day 4 - abdominal inflammation continued with fever, loss of appetite, nausea.
*Fever continued for 5 days along with muscle twitching and neck pain from time-to-time
*Weight loss (about 6lbs in a month),
*Abdominal inflammation has continued but off and on and has lasted for 34 days
*No rash, no diarrhea, no swollen node according to my doctor
*STD-panel all negative... blood count is fine.

Any input is welcomed. I know symptoms dont mean anything only a test can tell one's status, this is why i'm going to get tested today to see whats going on
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum. I am glad I can help you here.

The answer to your question is NO.

ARS (Acute retroviral syndrome) does not occur within a short time period. It needs at least a window period of 4 weeks to become symptomatic.

Your symptoms could be due to enteritis due to bacterial infection. Viral infections usually need a window period of at least 24-48 hrs, before symptoms arise.

I hope this helps.

|

replied February 10th, 2011
Hello doctor, thanks for the reply. I've been living in severe anxiety and depression. I have tested negative at 8 weeks, 10 weeks, and 11 weeks this monday. I'm going back for the final test on Feb 22. However, I'm still experiencing symptoms such as upper left abdominal pain. This pain varies from soreness to a pressure-type pain where I feel my ribs are being pulled down. Kind of hard to explain. I recently had an ultra sound done on Monday and I shld be meeting with the doctor in a week to discuss those results. The lady at the lab said my organs looked "textbook perfect" in her words and my spleen wasnt enlarged so that was some good news.

I also had a fever which started at day 4 and lasted for 5 days so idk what to make of that and I've lost 10lbs since all of this started. Pls give me some insight. Also, would an ultra sound show if lymph nodes are swollen in the stomach?

Thanks a bunch,
Hoping
|

replied February 17th, 2011
In the year 2000 i had protected sex with a commercial sex worker. Since it was my first time i even wore two condoms at a go. But after coming i pulled out with out hold the condom. Small semen dropped on her when i pulled out.With my guilty conscience...i couldn't sleep.The next day i started feeling feverish like malaria, run a little temperature, lost appetite but never had any rash ,sore throat,swollen lymph gland. I felt really better after 6months.I also had protected and unprotected sex with my girl friend in 2001.Its now 10yrs now ...still having some guilt because i haven't tested yet... My girl friend during 2001 is now married to another man with a three year old son.
Because i am nervous in going to test to clear my conscience My Doctor said he is going to take alternative blood test (globulin and albumin)= Total protein...and other tests, BUN/Creatinine and blood sugar.....

All the test results came out perfectly normal.....Doctor asked me not to worry becos i'm ok from this alternative test but asked to come at my own time for the hiv test if in want to to clear my conscience....

Because antibodies are produced to fight HIV, people with the virus may have increased levels of globulin.

I recently had a Full blood count and these are the results

u WBC: 3.3- 8.7 * 3.4
HB 13.5 - 18.0 * 15.4
MCHC 30.5 - 34.5 * 33.5

NEUTROPHILS : 40 - 75 * 49
LYMPHOCYTES : 20 - 48 * 46
EOSINOPHILS : 1 - 6 * 2
MONOCYTES : 2 - 10 * 3

TOTAL BILIRUBIN 2 - 17 * 6
DIRECT BILIRUBIN 0 - 9 * 3
INDIRECT BILIRUBIN 2 - 10 * 3
ALT (SGPT) 2 - 12 * 8
AST(SGOT) 2 - 14 * 5
ALBUMIN 30 - 46 * 37
GLOBULIN 30 - 45 * 39
TOTAL PROTEIN 60 - 85 * 76
SODIUM 135 - 148 * 140
CREATINE 0.6 - 1.2 * 0.7

WHAT DO YOU THINK...AM I OK AS THE DOCTOR SAID............PLEASE HELP ME
|

replied February 17th, 2011
In all courtesy, can you pls delete your post and make your own separate thread... Its been 10 years since your exposure just go test sheesh.
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
hi there
how are things with you now?
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
Hey there, I'm negative at 97 days but still have mild abdominal pain usually in my ribcage area. I had an ultra sound done and they found nothing so I'm stuck with pain killErs. However they found bacteria in my urine so they're looking into that. What was your exposure ?
|
Users who thank Hoping2 for this post: knght882 

replied March 3rd, 2011
I am having similar symptoms as your probably some extra conditions since i am a guy. done some research. i really believe that it is bacteria infection rather than viral. I am waiting at three month window as it has been only days. i don't know. this just sucks.
|

replied March 5th, 2011
Hey, you'll be alright. Its hell but at the end of the day, you learn a lifetime lesson. You didn't mention what your exposure was though... Was it unprotectd vaginal/anal sex ?
|

replied March 6th, 2011
no, it was unprotected oral sex, and some deep kiss. hope everything is fine. best wishes for you.
|

replied March 6th, 2011
Lol dude youre fine. I wish I could trade places with you. But if you feel the need to test, then do so; it'll be negative for sure.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.