Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

can a regular doctor prescribe antidepressants?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
All my life I thought I could handle my severe depression but now I care barely get out of bed. I never realize the plans I set for myself because tomorrow is always dark. I am tired. Oh God, I am so tired. I need to see a doctor. Can you please tell me if a regular doctor can prescribe antidepressants? I hope someone replies. Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2011
Try the one that my uncle is taking right now. The supplement Stress Protect. It's been prescribed by his doctor last week of July. So far, as we've seen him on the past few days, his much better than the previous months. I don't have enough info about this supp. If i were you, i will research it over Google or Yahoo for you to find out if it's really fit in you.
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Oubah,

Yes, any physician can prescribe antidepressants. However, most family physicians will only prescribe them in cases that do not require therapy. If you are significantly depressed, most general practioners will refer you to a psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist can provide both therapy and medication, which is often necessary in severe cases of depression.

Please, follow through and get help for your depression. It is a serious medical illness, which can be treated. Good luck.
|