Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Can a hormonal imbalance be mistaken for bipolar II?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Recently after a few stressful life events happened I sought help from a psychiatrist for possible depression.
He asked me questions about my moods & symptoms. I do notice that my moods have a very predictable monthly pattern. I have a "happy" week where I am focused, have ideas & create things, put away all the kids laundry, have no problems with work, feel like having sex, etc.
Then, about a week later (after ovulation) I will start going down, it will be harder to work, things people say make me sensitive, my kids will get on my nerves, I can't concentrate & start having frequent "dishes in the trashcan & the trash in the sink" moments. This will last for a few weeks & will come to a peak where I am so agitated I feel like hurting myself & I start yelling at the kids & storm to my room.
The next day, I will start my period & after a few days I am back up there to my happy week.
My Doctor insisted that I have bipolar II rapid cycling, but I don't understand why it seems to go exactly with my period cycle. I am on depakote & tricyclic antidepressants to balance my moods but all I feel is sleepy. I told my doctor I can sleep for 15 hours a night if no one wakes me up & he gave me a stimulant that they give to people with ADHD. This drug makes me feel wired.

I am not trying to be in denial if I do have BD II but I don't want to be taking drugs unnecessarily especially since all the drugs I am taking are metabolized by my liver...
Did you find this post helpful?
|