Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Can a deviated septum cause trouble with your eyes?

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
For the past 6 or 7 years I have had an issue with my eyes that no doctor can seem to diagnose. Majority of the time my eyes feel like they are burning, have very dark circles under them, they become watery, feel gritty and they ALWAYS have a red glazed look to them. Sometimes they feel quite comfortable, however this is not often and this condition seems to to cause me trouble on random occasions through everyday, but consistently.

From what doctors have told me, it is NOT Dry Eye and NOT allergy. The optometrist said that my lower eyelid is extremely congested with blood vessels, however the upper part of my eye seems completely normal, which is strange.

So my question is could the deviated septum which I have cause my eyes to become really irritated and red so often? Maybe its reducing the flow of mucus from the sinuses around my eyes, causing them to become irritated easily? I would like some of your opinions, because this is literally the last option I have to treat whatever my condition may be. (I do produce a ton of mucus in my nose each day also, nasal spray and irrigation helps to some extent)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper scottcarradice
|

replied July 15th, 2010
Can anybody please help me out here?
|

replied April 29th, 2011
If you are certain that you have a deviated septum then surgery can fix that. Deviated septum can cause sleep apnea, which deprives people of proper sleep, preventing you to enter REM sleep. This is very serious because sleep apnea will make you feel tired all the time. Difficulty concentrating and forgetfulness are also symptoms of sleep apnea that resulted from having a deviated septum. Your dark circles under your eyes are probably the result you not having enough sleep at night. You can sleep all you want but you will still feel tired because your REM cycle is not there. Fix the deviated septum first and then check for allergy causes if it doesn't help. The surgery for deviated septum is not that expensive and costs only $1000 to $2000 without insurance. It will only take about an hour to be done. Save your money and do it. It will help you tremendously. Hope this help Smile
|

replied November 7th, 2011
I have the same problem with my eyes for years and have even seen a optometrist and had no joy. I have just had a sinus op and had my deviated septum straightened 4 days ago. Its all still very swollen and sore but i will let you all know if my eye starts to get any better. sorry its a bit premature but time will tell.
|

replied July 15th, 2010
Sore eyes...
Do you drink a lot of milk? Have you tried cutting out milk products in your diet? I had some similar symptoms and this really helped my issues cease. Also - have you been to an Allergist? Eye doctors can't help you with eye allergies like an Allergist can.
|

replied July 15th, 2010
I have already had a test for common allergies and it came back with nothing.

The reason I also think its not allergies because my eyes will start to feel like they are burning are completely random times. Its just to inconsistent to be an allergy I would think, because I am be in the same room one day and be fine, and the next day my eyes could be red and watery in that same room.
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Im having same exact symptoms and also have a deviated septum! Almost lost hope that anything can help as my allergy tests came negative and the problem gets worse.
Did you fix your nose? Did it help?
|

replied April 29th, 2011
Have the deviated septum ASAP!
If you are certain that you have a deviated septum then surgery can fix that. Deviated septum can cause sleep apnea, which deprives people of proper sleep by preventing you from entering into REM sleep. This is very serious because sleep apnea will make you feel tired all the time. Difficulty concentrating and forgetfulness are also symptoms of sleep apnea that resulted from having a deviated septum. Your dark circles under your eyes are probably the result you not having enough sleep at night. You can sleep all you want but you will still feel tired because your REM cycle is not there. Fix the deviated septum first and then check for allergy causes if it doesn't help. The surgery for deviated septum is not that expensive and costs only $1000 to $2000 without insurance. It will only take about an hour to be done. Save your money and do it. It will help you tremendously. Hope this help Smile
|

replied May 13th, 2011
Hey, I have the exact same symptoms as you. Did you end up doing the surgery? Did it help?
|

replied March 11th, 2013
eye redness and deviated septum...are they related?
I also have the exact same thing...did the deviated septum surgery help? I plan on doing that surgery this summer. I am very tired of waking up with such red eyes...mostly on the right side where my deviated septum is blocked. I have had allergy testing and am fine?! I also have discharge in that eye often in the morning. I have been to the eye doctor and regular doctor, but never learn anything new?!
|