Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

calcium deposits in mouth

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I have been getting what I think is calcium deposits in mouth. They come out in about a week or two and they are hard like a bone or tooth. Has anybody else had this happen?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper B93003
|

replied July 21st, 2010
You are right. You have calcium build up so much that it finally fall off some. It is a sign of not having your teeth cleaned regularly.

I think you should make appointment with the dentist for cleaning and hope that you don't have gum diseases (I mean periodontal disease).
|

replied October 18th, 2010
My wife has something like this, however I find it hard to believe it has anything to do with not having her teeth cleaned regularly enough.

I felt the jagged spike of bone-like material breeching her gum probably a quarter to a half inch below the gumline.

She was at the dentist a week ago to recement a crown, and they blew it off and told her it was an abscess; that she should simply gargle with h2o2.

I think the dentist was negligent here and didn't listen to her.

What exactly causes bone to rupture the gum 3/8" below the gumline? She was able to break off a rather large piece today, which is white and looks almost exactly like bone or tooth.

We don't have the the money right now for more dentist visits.
|

replied March 30th, 2012
ME TOO!!! Same exact thing! They said abscess but it's just a little to far from the tooth to be that. Mine is actually in the roof of my mouth and I got the 4th little piece of bone out of mine today! I thought I was CRAZY at first! I get my teeth cleaned EVERY six months and have NO gum problems at all! Infact I have never had a cavity! I only have this one stupid crown because I was using my teeth as tools and cracked one. I do get kidney stones and wonder if maybe my body just does something weird with calcium! I have had it now for a couple of months though and the little stones just keep coming out of the same little place! I wonder if we don't get them seen about if they will go away???
|

replied November 9th, 2012
Calcium deposit in gums
My dentist told me it is calcium buildup from clenching my jaw. He said you do not get the build up on the two front upper teeth because you dont bite down with your two front uppers. When I feel inside my mouth, my fingers run smoothly (no bumps) over my front two teeth, then the bumps begin as I move my way back. My calcium is not breaking through, so it is extremely painful when I brush my teeth. I have great teeth and brush twice a day. Dentist said there is a procedure where they cut open your gums, remove all the calcium, then sew you back up. I am afraid to do this.
|

replied March 7th, 2011
This has happened twice recently to me as well. First time it was on the right side of the inside rear of my jaw. I had an impacted wisdom tooth (#32) removed in the region about four years ago. Recently a hole opened up about 4mm from the gumline. I thought it was a canker sore, but it didn't go away. I set an appointment to see a dentist, but in the interim, the molar in the area (#31) became infected and sore. The dentist sent me to an endodontist who told me the tooth was cracked and needed removed. By this time the whole area was getting better, which seemed strange and lead me to a wait-and-see attitude. A few days later, my tongue started scraping on something sharp, which I thought was a popcorn hull or the like that had gotten caught. I later pried out a 2 x 1mm fragment of what appeared to be bone, and the whole area healed over in a day and is now better. The tooth is fine as well. While all this was going on another formed on the other side, and tonight I pulled out another bone fragment that was slightly larger. The wisdom tooth (#17) is below the surface of the gum, and has never been extracted due to its proximity to a nerve. I had read the bone might have been left over from the extraction, but not on the other side that has never had one. These seem to form rapidly in the gum tissue. I have another forming on the right side further back from the first one, but it never created a hole like the other two and seems to be reabsorbing or something as it is getting better.
|

replied November 4th, 2011
I have been suffering from these strange bone/tooth-like fragments in my gums as well. It first started in my upper left, inner gum line (towards the very back). It felt like a small, tender bump at first, then it became more irritated over a course of a few days. A small hint of white became noticeable and the bump felt hard.

I made an appointment with a dentist; but he didn’t take me very seriously. He told me I had an ulcer, and sent me home with a bill. Within a week the area had become infected and I ended having to come back to the dentist again. He said that my jaw was becoming exposed and proceeded to stitch up the hole where the white object was poking through, and sent me home with another bill.

By the next day the stitches had all come out.. and later in the afternoon, when I was leaving work (with the help of a toothpick) a small tooth like fragment popped out of the wound, which healed very quickly afterwards by the way. I was very relieved and hoped it would be the last of my oral problems.

The story isn’t over yet though. Only a few scarce months later I started feeling pain in my upper, inner right gum line. The exact area as the fist, only mirrored. This time the soreness was doubled and the white fragments were much bigger and VERY visible. I was fed up but regardless made yet another dentist appointment. I was very vocal this time due to all the money previously spent for zero answers.. They ended up doing an x-ray right over the area that could be seen in plain sight, and it DID NOT show up in the actual x-ray(s) and it seemed to make them uncomfortable.

One dentist called for another, who ended up calling for another. None of them had seen something like this before. They asked me if I had ever had any wisdom teeth/molar extractions in the past. I said no, because I have never developed wisdom teeth (lucky me right?) One of the dentists even pulled out a big black medical book and flipped through it. I ended up being sent home with a bill and still no answers.

A few weeks went by. As the pieces loosened up I ended up prying them out myself (yet again) and the wound healed quickly again, but left a scar tissue indention in the gum line. These pieces of bone/tooth were much larger than the original.

(Going to make this short) Months later MORE started coming out only this time from my lower left, inner gum line on the same area.. I just dealt with it this time. I really didn’t want to go dentists at this point to be turned away with no answers potentially. They eventually worked their way out. I was left with yet another scar tissue indention. I saved all of these shards and have a image below.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/zab ethjohnson/Toothshards2.jpg

It has been about 2 years since all of this occurred, and sadly I appear to be experiencing another tooth shard cutting through the bottom right inner gum line (same area as others) only this one is a tad lower.. And it hurts something awful.

What are these things? I am so sick of the pain and inconvenience ! Can ANYONE put a name to this condition? I am sure several individuals would have some relief if we could at least get a name for this.
|
Users who thank Beelzabeth for this post: heavymetalnut 

replied November 27th, 2011
I have the exact same issue. I have removed 5 so far and they heal quickly after. I think my problem is solved each time and then another comes.

Have you found any answers?
|

replied November 27th, 2011
I have the exact same issue. I have removed 5 so far and they heal quickly after. I think my problem is solved each time and then another comes.

Have you found any answers?
|

replied February 17th, 2012
Gum Tissue Calcium Stones (Sialoliths)
Here is the probable answer to all of these posts. This information is taken from the Cedars-Sinai website section relating to salivary gland conditions [begin Cedars-Sinai material]:

The salivary glands produce saliva to moisten the mouth, to help protect teeth from decay and to digest food. The three major salivary glands are the parotid gland, submandibular gland (also called the submaxillary gland), and sublingual glands. Saliva drains into the mouth through small tubes called ducts

The parotid gland makes 25% of the saliva and drains into the mouth near the upper teeth.
The submandibular gland makes 70% of the salvia and drains into the mouth from under the tongue.
The sublingual gland makes 5% of the saliva and drains into the floor of the mouth.
In addition, 600-1000 tiny glands (the minor salivary glands) are located in the lips, inner cheek, and in the lining of the mouth and throat.

The most common cause of problems in the salivary gland occurs when the ducts become blocked and saliva cannot drain.

Problems with the ducts
Sialolithiasis (sigh a lo THIGH a sis) is a condition where tiny salivary stones form in the glands. The stones, called sialoliths, are made of calcium.

Some stones do not cause any symptoms, but some stones block the ducts. The saliva flow is partially or completely stopped. The gland might enlarge and an infection can develop. [End of quoted Cedars material].

From common reported experiences, over time, these small calcium deposits (not bone material, as some mistakenly believe) will work their way out of the affected gum tissue area, which will normally be accompanied by days/week mild-moderate gum irritation, and occasional situs infection and swelling. Once extracted, the tissue heals rapidly.

Researching across the web, I have read that this condition commonly affects adults in their 30's-60's. Many sites have recommended increasing your daily water intake. Some sites have mentioned hypertension and anti-anxiety medications possibly having links to the condition, as well as advising medical evaluations for kidney and liver function issues. Try drinking more water and getting more exercise too, everyone, it won't hurt you!
|
Users who thank B93003 for this post: AJYeary 

replied March 15th, 2012
Yes I have this, my dentist thought it was an abscess and since i was having a lot of pain and had a deep cavity right there they did a root canal. They also put me on antibiotics but when the "hard bubble" didn't go away they sent me to a maxiofacial doctor. He diagnosed it that it was most likely my salivary gland. He could have removed it to be 100% sure but i didn't have it removed (chickened out). I think i'm going to go back and have it removed. Interesting thing is (per the last persons comment) i'm on anti-anxiety meds and my blood pressure would probably be considered pre-hypertension. recently i've been dealing with some more tooth pain and sinus pain as well....
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
Ridge of bone under teeth
Not a sialolith (usually not attached to jaw) the correct term is a tori or buccal exostosis: a ridge or swelling of bone that grows in the mouth. They can grow on the palate, the inside ridge of the lower jaw, etc. They may break off or fracture and cause pain that is sometimes mistaken as a toothache.
|

replied June 28th, 2013
Calcium deposits on jawbone
Is it possible that poorly aligned crowns can cause the calcium buildups versus the clenched teeth pablum the dentists try to feed us? Perhaps it is a conspiracy amongst dentists. Not their fault???
|

replied September 27th, 2013
About three weeks ago I realized I had what I thought was a canker sore on the roof of my mouth. It was taking forever to heal and hurt really bad. A friend at church told me to rinse with hydrogen peroxide so I began doing it that day. By the evening I felt a small sharp pointy thing in the hole. My pain had lessened so I was thinking the gargling was helping. I thought it was healing and tried not disturb it for fear it was scabbing(as if you can get a scab in your mouth)and that if I messed with the pointy thing it may cause more pain. It just kept annoying me so I finally messed with it with my tongue and much to my surprise out it came. I was like " What the heck is this?" I immediately started to feel relief. By the next day it felt 75% better and I thought I was on my way to healing completely. I went on line and found this thread and that explained what it was and I was so thankful. But...a few days later I kept having pain on the roof of my mouth farther back and much to my disappointment found a red swollen lump. I pushed on it and it was filled with blood and pus so I knew something was still not right. I have been tending to it by draining it, rinsing with peroxide and cleaning it with a q-tip 4-5 times a day. I would say it is about 90% better. I have however gotten 2 more very small pieces of what I think are calcium out of this spot. I have avoided the dentist 1.due to no insurance and hubby just got laid-off Tuesday and 2. because of what I have read here and how the dentist, endodontist, etc. really didn't know what it was. I have made an appointment with my doctor for today to see if he can give me an antibiotic just to fully kick the infection but I fear there is still more deposit in there that needs to come out. I am going to send this thread to my phone and have him read it r find the article on the Cedars Sinai web site so he can take a look. Who knows? I just may tell him something he has never heard of. After all, I don't think it's a really common thing. Thanks to all who posted here. It gave me the answers I was needing! Blessings to you all and here's to NO MORE CALCIUM BUILD_UP!
|

replied December 1st, 2013
this happened me twice now.1st time i went to a dental clinic a few months ago and they said it could be cancer or a canker sore.being a smoker i asked if they could remove it and send it out for biopsy it was on the roof of my mouth and hurt like hell! i was supposed to go back to get results of biopsy but i didn't wanna hear the results afraid of it being cancer.last week a 2nd one appeared on my inner lower gumline . i was really starting to get scared now.i waited a few days hoping it was a canker sore and would go away.mind you i never had a canker sore so,i dont know the symptoms.but 2 days ago i felt like a small bone chip poking through the skin.i stuck my finger in my mouth and with my finger nail kept scraping the bone like object.to my suprise it came out.it looks like the pieces in the picture above and the bump is healing.total relief of the pain is going away! pretty freaky thing to experience to say the least!
|

replied December 18th, 2013
I have experienced this recently. I am currently undergoing an ortho treatment, which requires me to wear upper and lower spacing retainers 22 hours out of the day. In order to maximize my results, I have actually been wearing them for 23.5 hours a day, only to take them out to brush and floss my teeth. As a result, I eat all of my meals with them inserted; albeit, slowly at times. So....there is good chance for food to be trapped between the roof of my mouth and my upper retainer. About three weeks ago, I was brushing my teeth and my toothbrush, seemingly, dislodged something from my tooth. It was small and very sharp. It looked like a bone fragment. I thought it odd because I had not eaten any chicken recently, and I was not sure of any other situation where I would have bone fragments from food in my mouth. I, then, began to think it was a sliver of tooth or a broken piece of tooth filling. I set it aside to analyze later. I continued to brush my teeth with no more incident. A few days passed and I noticed another sharp item protruding from the roof of my mouth, but close to the teeth. I used my tongue to loosen it up and pulled it out of my mouth with my fingers. The fragment was a little smaller than the last one, but very pointy. Now I began to worry that some bones in the roof of my mouth were becoming brittle or breaking due to the way I needed to press the retainer against the roof of my mouth and redistribute all of the saliva from that area, for fear of drooling or spitting while talking -- I was still getting used to the foreign object in my mouth. About 2-3 weeks later, I felt a raw area in that same place in my mouth. I ran my finger across it and when I removed my finger from my mouth, it was bloody. It did not feel right, so I proceeded to use my finger nail to scratch that area because it felt hard. When I scratched it, something moved. I started moving my tongue back and forth across the affected area. I used my finger one more time to scratch it and a large piece of that hard substance was dislodged. I pulled it out to look at it and it looked like either a piece of bone or piece of tooth; very hard indeed. The picture above is very similar to my "collection" of fragments; nearly identical in size and shape. I called into my dentist and it was not a known condition, so I began to do my own research and happened upon this thread. I am glad I did because I would surmise that I am dealing with Sialolithiasis. It makes sense now. I had actually decreased my water intake because I felt like there was too much saliva in my mouth; however, because of that, I was not flushing any of the particles trapped between the roof of my mouth and my retainer. The glands could very easily have been blocked, which resulted in this condition. After the large piece came out, my mouth healed almost immediately (in a matter of what seemed like hours, not days). I would also like to note that this does not have anything to do with Tori as was suggested by another user. I have those, as well, due to a partial I have been wearing for many years. I know the difference between the two....trust me! And I would venture to say that most people on this thread are dealing with the sialoliths like myself. This is the first time I have ever had to deal with this. Of course, it's the first time I have ever had retainers in my mouth, so I am glad I found this information and know that it is not a debilitating condition. I can easily mitigate further occurrences by drinking plenty of water and flushing my mouth periodically. Razz
|

replied June 15th, 2014
calcium, Bone???
I to have this problem, But in my case I just had 6 teeth pulled and on both sides oh the upper back teeth I have these deposits growing in where my teeth were removed I know they didn't brake any teeth because I took them with me and they are intact , I am getting upper dentures and still have to have my 6 front upper pulled but in the mean time these small bone like pieces are growing in where my teeth used to be, Very painful for me. I went to Zerbo's to get clove bud oil, This is what the dentist use's for dry sockets and other tooth pain, After applying the Clove bud oil I am pain free, But I still have to go back to see if I have to get these calcium deposits remove or if they will fall out????? Who knows It also happened years ago as a young man when I had 1 tooth removed ,Hope this helps, If in Pain Use "CLOVE BUD OIL"From heath store Works like a dream,
|

replied June 18th, 2014
Calcuim Deposits in Mouth
I only suffer these when i take extra calcuim. When I stop taking extra calcuim the deposits go away.
|
Quick Reply