Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Caffeine causing lower left side pain ?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I have been having pain in my lower left side about an inch in front of my hip bone. Severe enough that when I went to the E.R the first time it happened which was febuary of 2012, they thought I had an Ovarian Torsion. They did and ultrasound and found nothing. I thought back about what I had done that day and realized I had drank a few soda's containing caffiene. I stopped drinking them and it didn't occur again until I had a few sups of another caffeinated drink. To this day it still occurs. I sometimes cannot avoid drinking something with caffeine, and would like to know why this occurs.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2013
Abdominal Pain Answer A43428
Welcome to e health forum.

The cause of the pain would be nonspecific and just due to irritated bowels causing spasmodic contractions, which may be be painful in some cases.

Foods rich in carbohydrates, spicy or fatty foods, coffee (contains Caffiene), and alcohol can precipitate Spasms, or sudden strong muscle contractions in the intestines which can be felt as severe abdominal cramps.

If you seem to be having symptoms with intake of caffeinated drinks, you should probably avoid them.

Medications like bentyl (anticholinergic medications) can be prescribed by a doctor to prevent your symptoms if they occur more frequently and affect your daily activities.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.