Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Caffeine and weight loss ?

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
I am interested to know if caffeine is beneficial in loosing weight. I drink a coffee or two, sometimes 3 or 4 a day. Is this healthy? And what about the effects of caffeine and helping burn fat, Is this true?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
There is considerable debate about the health benefits and liabilities of coffee/caffeine. If you are not pregnant, anxious, or overly sensitive to caffeine, then you may benefit from several cups of coffee per day. It's benefit is more in boosting metabolism than burning fat, although exercising daily while eating less would be a more effective way to lose weight.

|

replied July 24th, 2009
I have been interested in this question as well. Apparently a lot of weight lifters and personal trainers drink it before their workouts so that they can work out harder. I'm going to give it a try, along with some green tea. I have some problems with coffee, as far as it hurting my stomach, so I bought some acid reduced coffee called Cophee and it is a lot easier for me to drink. Its the only place I've been able to find it. Hopfully I can loose some of this weight and I'm willing to drink anything to help me along, even though I do not like tea.
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
Experienced User
i was a two a day drinker & through this & nutritional deficiencies i haven't worked because of bad health for 3 yrs. Now after learning about true nutrition i am slowly regaining my health ( including weight loss without extreme exercise) it's all about nutrition & am willing to teach as many as are willing to listen.
Am waiting for your replies!
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
Supporter
Hi timeisshort,

What do you consider extreme exercise? Just curious. I have a work-out routine I've put together for myself and it's been wonderful. I'm also taking Omega 3 and I feel the benefits already.

Wendy
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
Supporter
coffee is my drug, i love the smell of it, i get headaches when i dont drink it. lol
when i drink it in the morning i faithfully go to the bathroom twice in the morning. they had a forum here about why does coffee make me poop. lol
as they say "what goes in, has to come out" and if coffee is regulating you, then that is a very good thing in loosing weight.
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
Supporter
2 cup of coffee no sugar or creamer. I drink it in the morning and walk 3 miles. A football trainer told my son about it and I have been doing it for 6 years now. Definitely works. However, I am a coke-oholic and I do have to watch it.
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
Experienced User
wendyrs, actually i lost 49pounds of weight with no exercise at all other than light home duties, so it's not about exercise but how we regulate how our body recieves & eliminates through our cells.

serviceu, the reason why you get head aches is you are right at the threshold of detoxification if you were to have a mild detox program or even use some alkalizing foods a bit more in your diet the head aches would be gone in 3 to 5 days & your body would feel more capable.
then you could use this symptom to tell you when you need to detox or cut down on coffee as i do.

anyone using a lot of caffeine should be careful not to cause themselves a magnesium deficiency or dehydration which can cause, believe it or not,weight gain.
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
Supporter
breack09,
you said you are a coke-oholic, so was i and i switched to sprite. a few days ago i drank a whole 2 liter, and i decided to add the calories, up and it was 900. now i feel bad!
i usually drink a large cup of coffee everyday except wednesday and friday. i work those days so i rush out without my wonderful coffee. lol
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
Supporter
ServiceU, believe it or not I think Sprite is to sweet. I love my coke. Yeah those caffeine drinks can add up the calories quick for you. You figure in a day 1/2 your calorie intake is taken by bad liquids. timeisshort, you are correct about weight gain. If I ever want to just drop 5 lbs quick, I don't drink coke for a week.
|

replied July 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Hey Wilma

Most personal trainers require clients to stop or drastically cut back caffeine when entering a weight loss program because it is an obstacle to elevating your metabolism. But as Doc Carr said, the jury is still out.
|

replied July 26th, 2009
Community Volunteer
A cup of coffee a day and three 24 oz. bottles of Diet Pepsi is my thing...If I didn't drink diet Pepsi and had this high caffeine level in me, which I believe affects my sexuality and makes me more on top of it, I could weigh 800 pounds.... When I am dieting, which is 99.99% of the time, it is a lifesaver...
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2009
Experienced User
my experience with caffeine contributed to me having stage 2 adrenal failure, personally i don't think it's worth the risk! I'd much sooner have my health back!
|

replied August 7th, 2009
Avoid useless calories!
Just don't throw in loads of sugar and milk and you should be fine! Black coffee only contains around 3-4 calories per cup.
A smart way to avoid caffeine calories though would be to cut out all frappucinos pronto! Research has found that the calories attributed to the humble iced mocha are shocking - up to 500 calories for one!
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2009
Supporter
i used to use sweet n low, but i heard negative things about it.
i dear not put sugar in my coffee!!
i use powder and liquid creamer (french vanilla) and that makes it sweet enough for me.
someone told me they drink coffee with no sugar or anything else. yuk!!!!!
i m not a morning person, never was, so coffee sometimes helps me get up.
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
The problem with coffee I think is the intake. It's all falls on the dependency and the amount of caffeine you take. If you depend on it to get you going, then it's not going to do anything to your health and you'll misinterpret coffee surge with metabolism.

I used to be almost addicted to caffeine. I found that, you work out more, you rely on coffee more. Maybe want it just for the boost, but not total dependence. Since I've been to the gym, tried Christopher Guerrerro's program, practiced yoga and pilates, at different times of course, I needed less of caffeine.
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2010
My personal trainer also told me that any source of caffeine will boost your metabolism. If you drink any thing rich in caffeine just before working out, you can work out for longer period of time and coffee is the best source of caffeine. It will not help you to burn any fat though. It will just boost your metabolism. Other drinks like sprite, which is also very rich in caffeine can also be considered but the only problem with them is that they are very high in calories. Some weight loss capsules such as ECA STACK which is very popular for weight loss, also contains a significant amount of caffeine in it.

|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2010
I am a coffee drinker. I have always been slim or slender so I am not really sure if coffee has something to do with it. I just love it. The smell is just so stimulating. I don't recommend too much though. Everything should be in moderation.
|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2010
but for me guys its different.. i tried taking capsiplex. its a food supplement. and i can say that its very effective. because before my weight is 180lbs but now im only 120lbs..
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Weight Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.